Menu

Please help me turn these odds and ends into a proper Spanish program

My oldest son wants to learn Spanish. I have no more money for curriculum. I would like to list what we have to work with, and maybe someone can tell me how to tie it all together or how to make it work? Please? Or if this isn't a good plan, tell me so we don't waste our time.

We have:

1. Mango through our public library. Free.

2. A motivated student. He is very proficient in Grammar and Latin and into his second year of Koine Greek.

3. The means to (probably) afford a dictionary and a grammar reference book from Amazon.

4. Bilingual and Spanish resources by the shelf at the library.

5. (and possibly most important), we have Miguel. He is a friend from TKD school, father of 3 bilingual kids, and a native Spanish speaker. Miguel would properly tutor my son if he had time, but as it is he's very willing to spend 10-15 minutes after TKD to answer questions and chat a bit. He's very well-educated and precise in his teaching.

Can this work out? Mango lessons, a few reference books, translating materials, and chats with Miguel?

What reference books do I need? Do you know of any cheap ones that include exercises?

Having the opportunity to speak the language is one of the hardest things to come up with. My dc are studying French...not too many French speakers where I live. :001_smile:

My kids use The Learnables, but there was a time when they had each finished a level and I didn't have money for the next level. They used Mango French, and I purchased Barron's E-Z French for practice with grammar/writing. It was super cheap (around $13, I think). My kids found those a bit boring, and they were glad to return to Learnables (which they also find a little boring), but I think they learned something during that time. And with your son being highly motivated, I think it can work.