Menu

What age/grade are people finishing AAS?

FairProspects

I've heard we will slow down in AAS 3 due to the amount of dictation sentences, but at what age are people finishing the AAS series? If it is prior to middle school (6-8th grade) what are you planning on doing for review? Are you moving into root word structure or moving to a different spelling program? I'm just curious where we will end up, and what to plan on afterwards.

:bigear: We are scheduled to finish AAS6 late this spring and hopefully 7 will be out by then so we'll finish the whole program by this time next year. I expect she'll be 7-almost-8 when we finish AAS. I'm not sure where to go next. We did just start a root program (EFTRU) which is simple and easy.

Yesterday my daughter demanded to know what spelling program would be next and kept asking to see sample high school spelling words. I had nothing to give her but sample vocabulary words for that age which she insisted wasn't the same as spelling words.

Edited by Satori

:bigear: We are scheduled to finish AAS6 late this spring and hopefully 7 will be out by then so we'll finish the whole program by this time next year. I expect she'll be 7-almost-8 when we finish AAS. I'm not sure where to go next. We did just start a root program (EFTRU) which is simple and easy.

Good question! :001_smile: It's too soon to be certain, but it looks as though we'll be in the same boat here (only a year later). My daughter will most likely finish Level 3 this year (1st grade), and will probably work through Levels 4 & 5 next year (2nd grade). She is like that when it comes to spelling.

I've been wondering what to do for 3rd grade and beyond. We have Spelling Power on the shelf (from my tutoring days), and it's designed for students ages 8 and up. There are bits and pieces of it that might apply for use with a 2nd grader (e.g., the dictionary skills section in the back). We could test into the appropriate level when we finish AAS, and take it from there. The structure is quite different from AAS, though.

We have Natural Speller, which I think does have much useful material for students to work through. I especially like the exercises of building skill in adding prefixes and suffixes, changing from singular to plural, changing tenses, and so on.

I've been studying The ABCs and All Their Tricks, and can see the benefit of teaching some of its concepts, especially to a word-loving student like my firstborn. It's a nice resource to have on hand for answering those questions that these students like to ask. :D

Another thought I had was using All About Homophones, along with Level 6 in 3rd grade, in order to slow down the AAS and extend the work for a full school year.

Hopefully by the end of third grade, we really will be done with AAS -- our formal spelling program -- and will be ready to move more into full-fledged Latin, word roots, foreign words, vocabulary, definition, thesaurus/dictionary/reference skills, and so on. With a strong speller, is there a need for a formal program much beyond 3rd/4th grade?

Edited by Sahamamama

With a strong speller, is there a need for a formal program much beyond 3rd/4th grade?

No. Move to a vocabulary program instead. It's still spelling because they have to spell the words correctly, but they have to define them, too.

My oldest was like this. Whizzed through the Spelling Workout books. When she got the point where she could spell every word correctly but couldn't define half of them, we abandoned spelling for vocab. We used Wordly Wise. Much better use of her time (from my perspective, anyway!)

No. Move to a vocabulary program instead. It's still spelling because they have to spell the words correctly, but they have to define them, too.

My oldest was like this. Whizzed through the Spelling Workout books. When she got the point where she could spell every word correctly but couldn't define half of them, we abandoned spelling for vocab. We used Wordly Wise. Much better use of her time (from my perspective, anyway!)

Thanks, this is good feedback.