Menu

Science

Thia

I am looking for an early elementary earth/space science curric that is LIGHT on the experiments. If it would go along with RSO Earth and Space, that would be a bonus. We did the first experiment today and the kids sat there looking at me as if to say, "what was the point of that?" They want some meat! I know that there's recommended reading, but we do not get to the library often, so I need something to buy. Thanks.

For earth & space I'm using the Scott Foresman second grade module (you get get the whole larger text, or just buy the sections from within the book you want/need).

To me earth science is lots of fun, and really best done (IMO) outdoors as much as possible, especially the rocks, minerals and fossils! We aren't necessarily doing "experiments" as much as "field work".

We have done planting in different soils to see if it affects growth, made a water erosion thingamabob to show how water erodes, make a play-doh model of earth to see the layers. Right now we're rock-hounding to find different rocks and minerals (and hopefully maybe a fossil or two) and then we have some more things planned, but the curriculum itself isn't experiment based or intense with labs. We also do a lot of reading on the subject outside the text.

I found the RSO Earth & Space sample to not be meaty enough either. :tongue_smilie:

Could you just purchase some of the books on the book list? I would recommend NOEO, but they don't have an E&S specific program.

I do recommend utilizing your library if it's not horribly far away. Most (all?) libraries these days have online catalogs with a hold system, so you can sit at home and select all of your books, put them on hold, then stop by and pick up the books all gathered for you already. Easy peasy, even with little ones. ;) We go every week now that I use the hold system. Previously, I hated going because it was hard to find things while chasing a toddler, or a baby would hit his limit while I was halfway through my list to search for. I can't believe I didn't use the hold system sooner! :lol:

And since we go every week, we rarely get late fees now, as it's just habit to go on the same day each week.