Menu

Help please - scheduling Write Shop

I am in the process of re-working two of my son's credits for this year. I've poked a bit around the board, but haven't been able to quickly find what I am looking for, so I am hoping that someone can help me.

How do you implement Write Shop? Do you teach every day or just once a week? I am going to break the daily work down as they suggest, but I just can't figure out how to teach it. It looks great, it's what he needs, but please help me plan. I'm in a bit of a panic as I have two classes to quickly re-work.

Thank you so much!

Thank you - I think we will use the two year schedule, probably spreading the lesson out over three weeks. Do you know of any reason that I couldn't do the pre-writing activities and brainstorm for the practice paragraph on the same day? I am hoping to have a "weekly meeting" with my son, as it will fit into his schedule easily, then doing shorter times w/him daily for dictation, etc. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Here's a bit from my post in this thread:

Writeshop users...scheduling help, please....

First, I took a poll one time and NO ONE who used Write Shop did the copywork and dictation. I don't either.

Let me describe how I use Write Shop. Each lesson takes us 2 weeks to cover. I spend some time Sunday night going over the lesson myself so I understand it. Sometimes, I have to read through the lesson more than once.

Week 1

Mon/Wed/Fri - skill builder can be done independently by student + check together

Mon - pre-writing activity (we do this together and it can take up to an hour)

Wed - brainstorm + practice paragraph (ditto)

Fri - brainstorm (at first, we did this together maybe 30min, eventually ds would do it independently and I would look it over maybe 15min) + sloppy copy (ds does independently)

Week 2

Mon - first revision (ds does independently) + teacher edits (15-30min)

Wed - final revision (ds does independently) + teacher evaluation (15-30min)

HTH!

Thank you, Sue. This is the kind of thing I was looking for! I'm glad to here that you don't do the copy work & dictation, too. I was dreading that & wasn't sure that the amount of resistance that I'd have to put up with would be worth it - now maybe I'll just skip it!

So, you meet two days a week during the first week (Mon & Wed) of your cycle than just check work on the other days. Is that correct?

Do you think I could combine the pre writing activity and the practice paragraph into one day? I am looking at using a 90 minute block one day a week for instructional time in language arts as a whole. This would include Write Shop, some reading comprehension that we are working on, going over concepts from Movies as Literature and verbal thinking skills.

I'm glad to here that you don't do the copy work & dictation, too. I was dreading that & wasn't sure that the amount of resistance that I'd have to put up with would be worth it - now maybe I'll just skip it!

Skip it without hesitation. I completely understand about picking your battles.

So, you meet two days a week during the first week (Mon & Wed) of your cycle than just check work on the other days. Is that correct?

In the beginning, I would spend time with ds on Friday as well helping him to brainstorm. Eventually, he would do this on his own, and I would just check and perhaps add some suggestions before he wrote his sloppy copy.

Do you think I could combine the pre writing activity and the practice paragraph into one day?

You may be able to do it, but I think ds and I would have killed each other had we tried that. The pre-writing activity and the practice paragraph were the most time-consuming portions. Maybe if you took a break and worked on something else in between the two it would work.

In case you're interested, here's my review of Write Shop.

HTH!