Menu

x-post--Questions about Lials Algebra

I asked this on the Logic stage board but am not getting any answers yet so I thought I would ask here.

Is Introductory Algebra their Algebra 1 book and Intermediate Algebra their Algebra 2 book?

If that's the case is their Introductory and Intermediate Algebra algebra 1 and 2 in 1 book? If that is so would you recommend that? I have heard that most of Algebra 2 is review of Algebra 1 skills- is the purpose of the combined book to cut down on the review once in Algebra 2? Is there a DVT for this combined book? (assuming it is a combined book)

Ok somebody answered this question for me over on the Logic Stage board- but now my questions is after using BCM what is a better Algebra 1 course? Lials Introductory Algebra or Beginning Algebra? Dd is not a super strong math student but is doing very well with Lials so far and we are doing supplemental work that is really strengthening her math skills! She is finishing the Key to Series along with this and we will be starting Patty Paper Geometry on Wednesdays. Also she is slowly (1-2 chapters a day) working through the 2 life of Fred Pre-Algebra books.

This is her current Math schedule:

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri-- BCM

Weds- PPG

We also add in 1 chapter of LOF when she has a short lesson in BCM

We take a week off of school every 3-4 weeks (ECC schedule dictates whether 3 or 4 week because I will not break up a country study) and during our weeks off we still do math so that is when she does the Key to Series and 1 chapter of LoF every day (M-F).

So with that- I assume she will be done with the key to basic series by June (there about) and will start Key to Algebra after finishing the basic key to series. I hope to get most of the way through that before her 9th grade year but I don't know for sure how far we will get there.

So- with that what would you recommend? Lials Beginning Algebra or Lials Introductory Algebra. What is the difference between the two?

Is Introductory Algebra their Algebra 1 book and Intermediate Algebra their Algebra 2 book?

Yes. There is (was?) also a series in which Beginning Algebra is Algebra I. My daughter used Beginning Algebra for her Algebra I course.

If that's the case is their Introductory and Intermediate Algebra algebra 1 and 2 in 1 book?

Yes, there is such a Lial's book.

If that is so, would you recommend that?

My understanding of the book is that it would best serve a student who has already had Algebra I and merely needs some review before undertaking Algebra II. For a student who has not had a full Algebra I course, there may be insufficient development of the topics necessary to have success in Algebra II.

Regards,

Kareni

Margaret Lial has been a Math text author and teacher for years.

She currently has 2 different series published by Pearson/Addison Wesley. One has 'Beginning Algebra' for Algebra 1 and the other has 'Introductory Algebra' for Algebra 1. Both use the name 'Intermediate Algebra' for Algebra 2.

These texts were written primarily for adult remedial college use but they are the SAME LEVEL as a standard (strong) high school course. They are written in a block scheduling format--instead of a typical (high school) daily format. One lesson in Lial is about 2 days of homework (assigning the odds only).

The 'hardbound' series has been around a few years longer than the 'paperback' (also called the 'developmental') series. The teaching and topics covered are essentially the same-- the LAYOUT and font size are the biggest differences. For this reason I prefer the paperback (developmental) series and I currently use the slightly older 8th edition---very little difference between editions and the price is right at around $20 for a text in 'Like New' or 'Very Good' condition!

I do NOT recommend the combo texts--- these are designed specifically for students who have had these levels before-- they are more of a 'review' and WILL BE AWKWARD for students if using them the 'first time through'.

The 'review' in Algebra 2 is CRUCIAL-- it is very important for students to have a solid foundation in Algebra if they will be taking college level maths in the future. One year makes a HUGE difference in 'brain maturity' in a teen. Algebra 2 students fill in gaps during the 'review' phase of a lesson-- in this series the review problems are also 'messier' than the ones in the Introductory or Beginning Algebra text (more fractions and pesky negatives). For the most part Algebra 2 will revisit concepts INTRODUCED in Algebra 1 and will expand them-- there WILL be new concepts introduced that will be reviewed and expanded in Pr-Calculus... thus high school math is cyclical.

Lial offers video lessons for all texts with the exception of Geometry.

Edited by Jann in TX

Margaret Lial has been a Math text author and teacher for years.

She currently has 2 different series published by Pearson/Addison Wesley. One has 'Beginning Algebra' for Algebra 1 and the other has 'Introductory Algebra' for Algebra 1. Both use the name 'Intermediate Algebra' for Algebra 2.

These texts were written primarily for adult remedial college use but they are the SAME LEVEL as a standard (strong) high school course. They are written in a block scheduling format--instead of a typical (high school) daily format. One lesson in Lial is about 2 days of homework (assigning the odds only).

The 'hardbound' series has been around a few years longer than the 'paperback' (also called the 'developmental') series. The teaching and topics covered are essentially the same-- the LAYOUT and font size are the biggest differences. For this reason I prefer the paperback (developmental) series and I currently use the slightly older 8th edition---very little difference between editions and the price is right at around $20 for a text in 'Like New' or 'Very Good' condition!

I do NOT recommend the combo texts--- these are designed specifically for students who have had these levels before-- they are more of a 'review' and WILL BE AWKWARD for students if using them the 'first time through'.

The 'review' in Algebra 2 is CRUCIAL-- it is very important for students to have a solid foundation in Algebra if they will be taking college level maths in the future. One year makes a HUGE difference in 'brain maturity' in a teen. Algebra 2 students fill in gaps during the 'review' phase of a lesson-- in this series the review problems are also 'messier' than the ones in the Introductory or Beginning Algebra text (more fractions and pesky negatives). For the most part Algebra 2 will revisit concepts INTRODUCED in Algebra 1 and will expand them-- there WILL be new concepts introduced that will be reviewed and expanded in Pr-Calculus... thus high school math is cyclical.

Lial offers video lessons for all texts with the exception of Geometry.

Thank you so much Jann!! So this is the text you recommend then? I am going to be learning this again with dd just ahead of her (I was never strong in math in high school but I have been doing Khan academy and its amazing how much easier this seems as an adult!! ;)) Is there a teachers edition or is just the solutions manual needed as with BCM?

I use the 8th edition--but if you want the videos then the 9th is the way to go as they were re-done beginning with that edition (updated). 9th edition will be about $20 more than the 8th for the text--but it is still a bargain!

The TE is the same as the student text but with all answers filled in. Solutions manuals are optional and students should not have free access to them-- students need to THINK about the problem and be trained to look for their errors-- solutions manuals have their place but really should not be used that often. All of the necessary answers are in the back of the student text.

I use the 8th edition--but if you want the videos then the 9th is the way to go as they were re-done beginning with that edition (updated). 9th edition will be about $20 more than the 8th for the text--but it is still a bargain!

The TE is the same as the student text but with all answers filled in. Solutions manuals are optional and students should not have free access to them-- students need to THINK about the problem and be trained to look for their errors-- solutions manuals have their place but really should not be used that often. All of the necessary answers are in the back of the student text.

Thank you so much! :D I think we will stick with just the student text for now!!