Menu

Montessori High School?

The original Montessori philosophies and techniques were designed for young children. (My eldest two attended an outstanding Montessori school.) Best thing we could have done for them!

I never have understood attempts to "make it work" for older students. I would be quite interested to learn if the principles really can be applied for higher grades, or if only vestigial elements remain and "Montessori" is just a marketing ploy. (That is my current suspicion.)

There's some more information here about some secondary programs. It includes discussion about the course of study at one school (a jr high, basically, but you might find it interesting), and a sample daily schedule from another middle school. It is quite a long article, and it might give you some ideas.

The original Montessori philosophies and techniques were designed for young children.

Well, sort of. Her original work was with 3-6 year olds, because that's the situation she found herself in. Then she developed the elementary method for ages 6-12. This, along with setting up teacher training programs, pretty much took up the rest of her life. She believed that her approach to education could and should be applied to middle and high schoolers (and adults), and wrote a fair bit along these lines, but never had the chance to put it into practice.

Her theories of human development cover ages 0 to 24:

Planes of development (Wikipedia)

So, while there's no specific "Montessori high school method" per se, there are quite a few schools that are attempting to follow these principles. I don't know how successful they are.

Erdkinder is for 12-15 year olds. I'd call it more of a middle school curriculum. She believed this was a major time of transition -- almost like being an infant and toddler all over again -- and advised backing way off on academics during this time. The students are ideally supposed to live on a farm, get lots of sleep and nourishing food, and learn from real-life situations (such as selling their produce).