Menu

Task Cards: American History

Melissa in St Louis

Is anyone using these? I"m *trying* to use them, but I feel as if I'm wandering around aimlessly. :tongue_smilie: Up to this point, we've used Biblioplan/SOTW which has been so straightforward and easy to use....I love the *idea* of the task cards being so open ended, but they are SO open ended that I'm having a hard time getting us going with them.

I had planned on using these cards along with Childhood of Famous Americans, the American Adventures Series, Sonlight booklist, and Veritas Press booklists...this is proving to be next to impossible for me. I admit that my American history knowledge is sketchy at best, and that it's hard to know from book titles/descriptions exactly what books to pair with what topic. I realized that I'm used to much more hand-holding along the lines of recommended books and such.

I was planning on using the Usborne History Encyclopedia for looking up and researching the topics on the cards, but many of the topics on the cards aren't covered in that book.

I really want to be able to use and love this system as a way to give us a great, fun, inspirational, one-year American History overview, but I'm really struggling.

Sorry this has gotten so long. :banghead: Does anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? THANK YOU if you've read all this! :tongue_smilie:

Is anyone using these? I"m *trying* to use them, but I feel as if I'm wandering around aimlessly. :tongue_smilie: Up to this point, we've used Biblioplan/SOTW which has been so straightforward and easy to use....I love the *idea* of the task cards being so open ended, but they are SO open ended that I'm having a hard time getting us going with them.

I had planned on using these cards along with Childhood of Famous Americans, the American Adventures Series, Sonlight booklist, and Veritas Press booklists...this is proving to be next to impossible for me. I admit that my American history knowledge is sketchy at best, and that it's hard to know from book titles/descriptions exactly what books to pair with what topic. I realized that I'm used to much more hand-holding along the lines of recommended books and such.

I was planning on using the Usborne History Encyclopedia for looking up and researching the topics on the cards, but many of the topics on the cards aren't covered in that book.

I really want to be able to use and love this system as a way to give us a great, fun, inspirational, one-year American History overview, but I'm really struggling.

Sorry this has gotten so long. :banghead: Does anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? THANK YOU if you've read all this! :tongue_smilie:

Hi Melissa,

I'm happy to help if I can. The encyclopedia you mentioned is great to have on hand, but my guess is you'd be happier with something like the History of US or the Children's Encyclopedia of American History (Smithsonian) for the American History task card set. The other booklists you mentioned should work very well. The transition to this open ended style can feel quite uncomfortable for a bit. I hope you find your stride soon.