Menu

KISS grammar/MCT 4 level analysis---please compare?

Poke Salad Annie

We've been using KISS grammar as our main grammar program this year, and I am more than happy with the progress we're making in such a short time. I assign the sentences in the workbook, then I write them on the large dry-erase and my little guy labels them appropriately. This is working very well, and I have no complaints.

I have since been reading about the 4 level analysis of MCT, and it seems somewhat similar to the KISS approach.

Anyone care to compare?

I think most members are not familiar with the KISS approach. If you post a good example of a sentence from KISS and how your son marked it (following the KISS procedure), then some MCT user may chime in with their example of the 4-level analysis.

They are very very similar. My son has been using KISS for 4 years, and when we picked up MCT, found the 4 level analysis obvious and easy after about 4 sentences. I tried to switch to MCT and my son begged to stay with KISS. So KISS it is, and I just go over the 4 level analysis when it is in the writing or vocab books. We do not do the grammar or practice books.

Ruth in NZ

And by the way, KISS is way more comprehensive than MCT grammar.

They are very very similar. My son has been using KISS for 4 years, and when we picked up MCT, found the 4 level analysis obvious and easy after about 4 sentences. I tried to switch to MCT and my son begged to stay with KISS. So KISS it is, and I just go over the 4 level analysis when it is in the writing or vocab books. We do not do the grammar or practice books.

Ruth in NZ

And by the way, KISS is way more comprehensive than MCT grammar.

Thank you. I feel good about our decision to use KISS this year. We've dabbled with it a bit before, but I felt the need to get the basics down with Sheldon's PLL before going much further. Now the KISS workbook is finally making sense to the little guy, and I'm seeing retention as well.

We are taking it slowly at first, and are still working on complements. I've gone back over the previous lessons, and we are working on the large dry-erase board to identify each word in the sentences, even explaining how the prepositional phrases work in them. This is going so much better than when we tried diagramming last year. Even though he seemed to get that, it wasn't sticking. The KISS way of parsing does, though, and it's building confidence day by day.

I guess I was wondering out loud here whether we were missing something MCT might have that is not seen in KISS. I feel better now, and as always, free is good, right? ;)

I think most members are not familiar with the KISS approach. If you post a good example of a sentence from KISS and how your son marked it (following the KISS procedure), then some MCT user may chime in with their example of the 4-level analysis.

Here's an example:

Now (adv) Sammy (subj) was (lv) very (adv) fond (PA) {of big acorns} (pp).

The prepositional phrase {of big acorns} functions as an adverb.

We are marking these on the dry-erase with colored markers, just as they are shown on the answer key. I let him mark them as he understands, and if there are errors, I correct and then discuss with him.

KISS and MCT are similar in that they both have the goal of the student being able to explain every word in the sentence. However, I think the main difference is in how the teaching materials present the information. KISS has short explainations and lots of worksheets. MCT has very few worksheets, but lots of pages for discussion.

The visual presentation of the analysis is also different. KISS has the student mark up the sentence itself. MCT has the students write the analysis on four lines below the sentence.

KISS and MCT are similar in that they both have the goal of the student being able to explain every word in the sentence. However, I think the main difference is in how the teaching materials present the information. KISS has short explainations and lots of worksheets. MCT has very few worksheets, but lots of pages for discussion.

The visual presentation of the analysis is also different. KISS has the student mark up the sentence itself. MCT has the students write the analysis on four lines below the sentence.

Thank you for your explanation. I haven't seen any of the MCT materials, so it's hard to guess how it might be different or the same as KISS. Your description is very helpful.

I guess I was wondering out loud here whether we were missing something MCT might have that is not seen in KISS.

Well, aside from the grammar (where KISS users are not missing anything), MCT includes vocab, poetry and some writing.