Menu

Does your teen dd take a calcium supplement?

At what age should women begin to take calcium supplements? And one more question: what's the best price you've found (and where) on Calcet Creamy Bites?

I'd say never. Get it from food. It assimilates into the body much better than synthetics. Unless a kid can't do milk or dairy or dark greens. And agree that Vitamin D from sunshine is much more important.

My oldest loves milk - younger one not so much, but she drinks it daily. I have supplemented at time with a chewy or liquid supplement. We also eat a fairly balances diet.

For Vit. D - our doctor said sunshine is not enough - supplement. But that probably is dependent on where you are located. We are in New England - so it is more of an issue.

When I was tested just 2 months ago, I was low on Vit. D. My doctor said the only patients he has that are at a normal range are farmers or those who have an outdoor occupation.

My dd is 12 and takes calcium daily. She is allergic to dairy products and doesn't get enough calcium in her regular diet.

She takes a liquid calcium that tastes like blueberries.

We are similar in that ds and I cannot have dairy or excess protein in our diet due to a rare liver disease. Thus, we have to take 1200 mg of caltrate which includes 800 IU of vit D. We get a DEXA scan yearly for our osteoporosis (ds) and osteopenia (myself). Any type of weight bearing exercise like walking helps build bones too.

Is this the blueberry flavored calcium that was previously discussed?

http://www.vitacost.com/Lifetime-Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium-Citrate-Blueberry#

I prefer Blue Bonnet Liquid Calcium/Magnesium/D3 - has 2:1 ratio of calc/mag.

http://www.iherb.com/Bluebonnet-Nutrition-Liquid-Calcium-Magnesium-Citrate-Natural-Blueberry-Flavor-16-fl-oz-472-ml/9797?at=1

THANK YOU!!! We live in the Northeast and sometimes forget what sunshine looks like! We have a few nice months...LOL! Well, May-September is nice...mostly...

My tween cannot take calcium supplements, because we have kidney and bladder stones in our family, and all of them have been excess calcium. We also have heart disease in our family, and too much calcium can be a problem with that according to the cardiologist. Dd does take D3, so hopefully she can avoid other stuff. :glare: