Menu

Horse people a question...

....first off this is not my first rodeo, but I have a question. I have access to a 12 year old, bomb proof, registered paint, flashy, show horse. I am famillar with this horse and the care he has recieved....which has been excellent. There is a problem though. He has white line disease. He is being treated by a vet and is expected to make a full recovery in 6-12 months. His teenage owner does not want to wait that long for him to be rideable and has already purchased another horse.

It is possible that she would give him to me, instead of waiting the year for him to be saleable. He can be ridden by my kids because of how light they are, but woud be restricted to walk/jog.

Should I do it?

Right now, we have 2 arabians, but the mare is 21 and is just starting to show her age.

Everything else about this horse is sound, vetted, and up to date. I would not take possession for 2 months, so he can get 2 more vet visits finished.

Sure! If you're interested in a new horse, a sound, mostly excellent health, well-trained younger horse with a known problem that will be resolved in a reasonable time period seems like a good find.

Even if you wouldn't have bought another horse for the next 3-5 years, it's probably still a good idea - at 12yo, the horse has many years of solid use ahead of him.

Obviously, if you can't afford another horse, that's a different story! :)

(Or if, like me, you already have WAY too many according to your beloved but non-horsey hubby...sigh...)

Nothing wrong with walk and trot. I don't know about white line disease so I'm off to google and ask some horse friends. I love 12 and bombproof though. And otoh, nothing is safe. My good girl just plain old tripped and fell on me Tuesday. I'm still gimpy.

True! Bombproof paint is a bit different from bombproof arab though! ;)

Basically, they had to cut away a pretty good chunk of his left fore hoof. It will grow out, but it is ugly right now. It is being left open (which I prefer) because when the regular farrier tried to patch it the WLD just spread. He has been under the vet/farrier care for the last months and is making good progress. Hooves only grow so fast. I (unlike a 16yr old) can give him the time he needs to recover. :D

Sure! If you're interested in a new horse, a sound, mostly excellent health, well-trained younger horse with a known problem that will be resolved in a reasonable time period seems like a good find.

Even if you wouldn't have bought another horse for the next 3-5 years, it's probably still a good idea - at 12yo, the horse has many years of solid use ahead of him.

Obviously, if you can't afford another horse, that's a different story! :)

(Or if, like me, you already have WAY too many according to your beloved but non-horsey hubby...sigh...)

Hee hee! That is a little bit of an issue. We are moving in a month+ out to 210 acre ranch, so we have the space. Hay is a nightmare right now, but I am unsure if I want to pass on this guy.

He has the medium build I like in a kids horse. Not to stocky, but not as long and lean as my hunter/jumpers.

well it's not something to take lightly, you need a very very good farrier.

You need a dry lot where his hooves can be kept dry and clear.

Call all the vets in the area and ask for farriers to deal with WLD-call the top three.

I would proceed with caution but I would proceed.

White line desease is throwing many of the vets and farriers for a loop down here. It was thought that it was a moisture issue, but down here it is more difficult to control in this stinking dry climate :glare:. I really think they got it all out and the vet is rather ingenious with what he has been doing. Basically they drilled a hole about 1/2 in below the coronet band and attached the hoof to the shoe using a metal pipe fitting and screws.

Now it just has to grow out.

Before you commit to this horse, you should ask yourself the question, "What if the condition of this horse does not improve, would I still want this horse?"

You might see if a free lease with an option to buy (or keep if the horse is truly free) is something that the owners would consider for the next year. That way, you could purchase when you are ready, you would take on the care and expense for the year, but after a year you could be done if it didn't work out.

Check out the barefoot horse groups. There is a yahoo group and they have LOTS of great ideas and can link you to good farriers in your area.

I would also look into hoof boots to help protect the feet--not sure on full time, but at least when the kids ride.

Those kids horses are hard to find and worth a mint if you can find one that is sound.

We have a 30 year old guy that is the ultimate babysitter but yet will still take an adult on a good ride (short, but good trail ride) that we pour the senior feed into but he is soooo worth it.