Menu

MFW K...opinions? Alternative programs?

chpiper

I was thinking about getting MFW for my 4yr old. She is working slowly through CLE Learn to Read program, and she has done the CLP Preschool and R&S pre k series but wants to do more. Now I'm concerned since I read the 'worst purchases' thread..MFW K was on there a good bit...

I definitely need something that isn't super teacher intensive, as I have 3 others I am working with, and a baby, and studying my own college material...so time is definitely a consideration...Also, we need something that isn't crazy expensive. She knows her letters and is beginning to be confident in their sounds and doing well with CVC words...

Ideas??

I really liked the MFW K and 1st programs. However, I was far happier with 1st. Depending on how close she is to 5, you may want to look at the 1st grade program. If she is already looking at cvc words, she may be ready for it.

I did see that you have other children and are embarking on a college career yourself. If you just wanted to do the phonics/math part, it wouldn't be too bad. Math is mostly hands-on and there is only a workbook if you want to supplement. You could have her sit in with the other children for science/history and just skip that part of the program if you wished.

For K, there is a lot of hands-on components to learning the letters and it sounds like she already has that down.

I agree with the pp, if she is already reading cvc words well, then MFW K will be quite redundant. The science part of it is really great, it's definitely the best part of the whole program, but it would be expensive to buy just for that. I never used the 1st grade program, so I can't comment on that.

I am using MFW K for my dd, who is 4.5. We love it. It gives her just enough to do and feel like she is part of school without being overwhelming. I started my ds on MFW 1st when he was 5.5, and it was a perfect fit because he was already reading very well. My dd is not reading, yet. However, MFW 1st has considerably more writing for the student than K. This would have been a problem for either of my children at the age of 4. MFW K is a very sweet and gentle program and beautifully connects the Bible lessons with the Science lessons. We are having a lot of fun with it, and I really wish I had used it when my ds was that age. We LOVE MFW!