Menu

How to cheer on a 5 K?

If you ever make it to a college cross country race, it is a rather hilarious event to watch. The audience dashes from point to point on the course taking all the shortcuts they can in short sprints so they can cheer the runners at as many points as possible.

When I watch road races with my uncle (he just turned 80 and ran the Boston marathon Looooong before it was fashionable) he takes the same tactic I mentioned above, only with a car. Before the race he sits down with a map of the running route and figures out where to park near the start and end (where he can easily get the car in and out) and then picks a few places along the course to drive to. Since he is interested in the front runners, we are constantly on the move, we park, run to the course, they pass, we dash back to the car and drive to the next point, repeat as many times as we can. It is a lot of fun, a whole lot more fun than just waiting at the end. That said, being at the start and end, with one point in the middle (if you can pick one point somewhere around 2/3-3/4 of the way done that will really give your runners a boost) it will be fun for you and extra supportive of their efforts.

Use their running speed to figure out how long you have between points. Of course being there at the end to congratulate them on their efforts is also great!

Have fun!

Be there at the end. When I ran my first 5k I was lifted up by the sight of my family at the finish line. Granted, there really was no other place for them to be, but it was still pretty cool. Is it an out-and-back course (where they start and finish at the same place)? That would make it much easier for you.

Be there at the end. When I ran my first 5k I was lifted up by the sight of my family at the finish line. Granted, there really was no other place for them to be, but it was still pretty cool. Is it an out-and-back course (where they start and finish at the same place)? That would make it much easier for you.

Yes, it looks like they start and finish at the same place.