Menu

Could these two children do Latin together??

diaperjoys

I'm considering having my two oldest children do Prima Latina together. But I'm concerned about the youngest being "overshadowed" by his brother.

My 8yo is doing mostly 3rd grade work, and reads at least on a 6th grade level. He'd be able to do Prima Latina very easily, and may even be able to do Latina Christiana.

The 7yo is doing 1st grade work, and reads at least on a 2nd grade level. He's one that likes to get everything right. For example, if he misses one problem on a timed test he'll have a very hard time not crying about it.

I'm concerned that the older one will easily master the material, and younger brother will always be frustrated because he doesn't catch on as quickly as his older brother.

Would you combine these two, if it were your children??

I did Prima with my 2nd & 4th graders last year. The 4th grader (strong reader) did all the written work, grasped all the grammar ideas, and did very well. My 2nd grader (not yet a fluent reader) did the work in the workbook orally with me, did great memorizing the vocab & chants (verb conjugations), but didn't really understand the underlying grammar (nouns, pronouns, verbs, what conjugations are/mean).

They are doing Latina Christiana together this year. Both are doing the written work. We are finishing up Chapter 2 (& only on our 4th day of school). They both know the vocab words really well. Both know the chants well - although the older one memorizes new ones faster (like the 2nd declension-male). My younger one still struggles with the grammar ideas (a noun is a person, place, thing, or idea; a pronoun takes the place of a noun) and she can't remember the spelling of Latin or English words. I don't require her to do the derivative section of the LC workbook page as a written assignment. We do it orally & talk about it.

IMO, you can combine them just fine. Just be sensitive to the abilities of the younger & tailor your expectations/assignments. Perhaps you don't make a big deal about properly spelling the Latin words for the younger, but you emphasize them for the older's work. You might do a little more hand-holding with the younger while the older completes his work more independently.

(I'll have to figure out at the end of this year if we will take a 'year off' do just do Memoria Press's latin games for LC 1 + vocab from First Form to give dd#2 a chance to 'catch up' to dd#1's higher reading/grammar level. Dd#2 is on the low end of the recommended age/grade range for the Latin track we are on. It wouldn't hurt us to take a lighter year, but I'm playing it by ear right now.)

I would combine them. We do PL all orally anyhow. I did it last year with my 3rd and 1st graders, and I also did my older set of boys together at those same ages. Actually we do most of LC orally as well. I really think if they can REALLY memorize the declension and conjugation endings, plus the vocab, when they are young, they have such a leg up when they are ready to start the higher Latin. So that's what we mainly focus on in those younger years.

As far as practical tips, when drilling vocab or whatever, I would ask one boy one word, then the other boy the next word, and so on. Otherwise, my older boy usually is faster on the draw, and that would frustrate my younger one.

As far as practical tips, when drilling vocab or whatever, I would ask one boy one word, then the other boy the next word, and so on. Otherwise, my older boy usually is faster on the draw, and that would frustrate my younger one.

:iagree: We do the chants together once we have them down, but we do the vocab flash cards like she said (and for the same reason). *nodnod*

Do you mind me asking, what level would you choose for two 5th graders with no Latin experience, to be taught by a mom who also has no experience with Latin (that would be me)? And what if you were starting a very bright 8th grader - would he use the same thing, or is there something better for that grade level?

If you want a Memoria Press (MP) product, you could do First Form with all three. MP really helps with teaching through the Teacher's Manuals or the DVD. Many people prefer the format of First Form over Latina Christiana.

If you think he could handle it on his own, your eighth grader could do Henle using the Memoria Press guides. I don't think those are meant to be taught so much as self-directed, but I could be wrong?

As far as non-MP products, there are lots. Latin for Children, Latin's Not So Tough, or Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Latin or Latin Prep. Here is a chart comparing some of these offerings, just to confuse you some more. :-)

I think before you start teaching, you should explain that you have different expectations from both of them. They both just need to try their best, but they are in different grades so it might be easier for one or the other. I do think it is wise to combine because they can practice with each other. Maybe the older child could even help tutor the younger child (if that wouldn't cause conflict). They could definitely do flashcards together. If the older one seems to be being held back, you can move him into LC1.