Menu

x post: Grading writing with a rubric?

I'm beginning to grade ds's writing this year. I have a basic rubric I want to use, however it only has 3 division of areas to grade. The rubric goes from 1-4 in those areas. So if he gets a 3 in the 3 areas and I grade it on straight percentage that knocks the paper automatically to 75%.

Since he's a delayed writer, this is a short basic essay. There is not enough to use a more detailed rubric, which I have. However, I think this paper is above a 75%.

Do you have any tips on grading with a rubric?

I don't grade my own daughter's papers - thankfully as I think I'd be much too hard. So take this for what it's worth. :tongue_smilie:

I think that generally grading rubrics are most helpful to teachers who have to grade 30 or 200 papers. You have one student and can take your time evaluating each paper without worrying about comparing it against the other students' work. I would toss the rubric or using it as a loose guide and give the grade that his paper deserves. Grading harshly in 9th grade is hardly going to foster a love for writing assignments. ;)

You could also change the grading to 1 through 5 for the three areas and add in a 4th area for your own input. IMO grading any papers 1 through 4 is not going to allow for proper grading, or the percents can be changed. Maybe a 4 is 100%, a 3 is 90% - or 85% something like that might be more helpful. Since he's homeschooled, he shouldn't be getting a bad final grade on a paper since he should have the chance to make revisions and improve his paper and his grade. Revisions aren't allowed in ps generally due to the amount of papers each teacher grades. kwim?

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Paula, have you ever looked at Write Shop? It has been perfect for my reluctant writer. Also, the built-in evaluation tools help me to be objective and focused on the right things.

Each lesson includes:

Very specific parameters for the essay.

Information about common errors for that particular assignment, with tools and tips to help your student avoid those errors.

Teaching methods for brainstorming, and writing a practice essay with the student.

A step-by-step writing process (with schedule).

Evaluation sheet for the student to use in editing his own work.

Another evaluation sheet for you to use in grading his revised work.

A final evaluation sheet.

My reluctant writer doesn't just love Write Shop (nor do I, frankly), but we both love knowing exactly what we're looking for in each project. There are no surprises. He can be confident he's done what was required.

Thanks, I'll look these over as I eat lunch. This paper is a miracle in itself, so I'm not going to be harsh. I like the rubric I have because it gives him simple, clear instructions. You've given some areas to consider though, thank you. He's one of those quirky kids that doesn't respond to any writing program, so I'm mixing bits and pieces together and writing across the curriculum.

Thanks, I'll look these over as I eat lunch. This paper is a miracle in itself, so I'm not going to be harsh. I like the rubric I have because it gives him simple, clear instructions. You've given some areas to consider though, thank you. He's one of those quirky kids that doesn't respond to any writing program, so I'm mixing bits and pieces together and writing across the curriculum.

Does he have a copy of the rubric before completing the assignment? What about asking him to evaluate his work before you do?

Also, on mechanics, I think with my sons I have to be super specific. I need to ask if they have capitalized proper nouns and first words of sentences. I need to ask if paragraphs are indented. I need to ask if quotations have quotation marks. They know how to do these things, but don't know how to self check. (This is the same reason why I have a written checklist for cleaning the bathroom. Otherwise, what I want and what they produce won't have enough overlap.)

I'm beginning to grade ds's writing this year. I have a basic rubric I want to use, however it only has 3 division of areas to grade. The rubric goes from 1-4 in those areas. So if he gets a 3 in the 3 areas and I grade it on straight percentage that knocks the paper automatically to 75%.

Since he's a delayed writer, this is a short basic essay. There is not enough to use a more detailed rubric, which I have. However, I think this paper is above a 75%.

Do you have any tips on grading with a rubric?

If you want to use that rubric without a lot of changes, you could just slide the point allocation slightly. If you changed the scale from 1-4 to 2-5, then the same paper would get 12/15 or 80%. If you slid the scale over one more unit to 3, 4, 5, and 6 points, then the same paper would get 15/18 or 83%. Sliding it over like that gives more weight to "completing something" and less to the quality of the paper, which might be appropriate depending on the student and your goals.

Does he have a copy of the rubric before completing the assignment? What about asking him to evaluate his work before you do?

Also, on mechanics, I think with my sons I have to be super specific. I need to ask if they have capitalized proper nouns and first words of sentences. I need to ask if paragraphs are indented. I need to ask if quotations have quotation marks. They know how to do these things, but don't know how to self check. (This is the same reason why I have a written checklist for cleaning the bathroom. Otherwise, what I want and what they produce won't have enough overlap.)

Yes, and we covered it. We're literally at the beginning of this process. Last year it was a struggle to get a sentence on a piece of paper, so getting 3 typed paragraphs makes me do a little happy dance. Honestly, there's not much to pick over as they are short paragraphs. He absolutely met my expectations with this report, it's just not perfect. His biggest issue was not expanding on topics, but at this phase I feel like we're at a one level outline.

If you want to use that rubric without a lot of changes, you could just slide the point allocation slightly. If you changed the scale from 1-4 to 2-5, then the same paper would get 12/15 or 80%. If you slid the scale over one more unit to 3, 4, 5, and 6 points, then the same paper would get 15/18 or 83%. Sliding it over like that gives more weight to "completing something" and less to the quality of the paper, which might be appropriate depending on the student and your goals.

I think this may be where we go for now, the weight upon completion. He already knows the depth is expected to increase on each work, so we can slide back once he gains some experience.

Hi, I'm new posting here (not to homeschooling or lurking though lol). Since I like the idea of having more objectivity to grading writing in high school, I'm trying to learn more about rubrics too, so thanks for asking the question.

But I'm confused a bit at the calculations - might be me :0. What I found online is a rubrics conversion tool. Their explanation (paraphrased) is that the lowest score is not a fail but the lowest pass, therefore the grade calculation is not a straight ratio (if I understand them correctly).

Here is the link for anyone interested: http://roobrix.com/learn.html

:cheers2:

Hi, I'm new posting here (not to homeschooling or lurking though lol). Since I like the idea of having more objectivity to grading writing in high school, I'm trying to learn more about rubrics too, so thanks for asking the question.

But I'm confused a bit at the calculations - might be me :0. What I found online is a rubrics conversion tool. Their explanation (paraphrased) is that the lowest score is not a fail but the lowest pass, therefore the grade calculation is not a straight ratio (if I understand them correctly).

Great link, thank you! I love converters where I don't have to overuse my brain. :lol:

But given the example at the link, by what criteria does a student fail the assignment? Not turning anything in at all? I don't think that it is out of line to have a level in the rubric that corresponds to not passing that section of evaluation.

(I'll choose not to nitpick the actual sample rubric, which I think is too vague to be useful, but is probably just there to illustrate the point. What is "emerging"? Reminds me of a grade sheet that was given out as an example in one of my education classes. The categories were budding, blossoming and blooming. I still don't know what that means.)