Menu

allergy help

And it can be hidden in many products. Be careful with margarine and many breads are not safe.

FAAN (food allergy and anaphylaxis network) has a lot of useful information.

My son was diagnosed with a dairy allergy at 3 months. It's a pain but it's possible.

There are a number of threads on the board (check allergy tags or do a search) that have links that you may find helpful & lists of foods that are okay.

:grouphug:

Good luck!

Thanks for the resources. Actually it turned up that dd has mild wheat, egg, and milk allergies -:blink: That eliminates basically everything we eat for breakfast and lunch. I'm also trying to figure out what "mild" means. Can I have muffins baked with milk but not a whole glass of milk. KWIM?

Thanks for the resources. Actually it turned up that dd has mild wheat, egg, and milk allergies -:blink: That eliminates basically everything we eat for breakfast and lunch. I'm also trying to figure out what "mild" means. Can I have muffins baked with milk but not a whole glass of milk. KWIM?

I hope you can talk with an allergist because it might help.

Mine took both my test and personal history into account when counseling me. For example, some people will tolerate "white" flour (personally, I use King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose) but not whole wheat. One family member went totally wheat-free for a year, then was able to have white flour, then eventually the allergy went away completely. Another one only avoided whole wheat.

Someone mentioned the FAAN site has info on milk and other allergies. Here is a link for the milk page.

Some allergens are destroyed by heat. Some are not. So that will determine if you can have muffins that contain milk. We have no experience with milk allergies, though.

(I was lactose intolerant, which is quite different. But for that, it mattered how much dairy I consumed and what form, for different reasons.)

Best wishes. We deal with severe allergies and have had to break out the Epi-pen, change our diets, and we know it's tough. Side benefit -- looking at food labels did improve our eating habits. :)

You should talk to the allergist about how much milk & egg. At first our allergist said ds could have them baked into things, and then his numbers went up and she said no. Fortunately, rice milk is a good substitute in baking.

Also, for hidden ingredients be sure you check chicken bouillon cubes or granules, beef bouillon cubes or granules, and taco seasoning labels. These frequently contain hidden milk products. We've gone to buying the kind from Mexico in the ethnic aisle because they don't contain milk.