Menu

AoPS extra practice?

Can anyone recommend a good source of extra practice problems to go along with AoPS Intro to Algebra? I've got two kids doing this course at home. They just finished Chapter 2 and, while they understand all the concepts, they're still making more mistakes than I'd like to see. I'd love to give them some extra practice simplifying these complex expressions before we move on to solving linear equations. All the extra practice problems (for simplifying expressions) that I've found online either look too simple to be worth it, or they are solving equations, which we haven't done yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the Alcumus section of the website? I haven't quite figured out the lay of the land over there, but there are definitely problems. I'm not sure how to limit them to certain chapters, etc.

ETA: if you log into Alcumus, there is a "Focus Topic" box above the "Active subjects" box on the right side. This appears to allow you to select certain topics for problems. Fun!!! :D

The other thing that comes to mind are the MM worksheets for algebra. I haven't read about anyone who has used them.

Edited by wapiti

Can anyone recommend a good source of extra practice problems to go along with AoPS Intro to Algebra? I've got two kids doing this course at home. They just finished Chapter 2 and, while they understand all the concepts, they're still making more mistakes than I'd like to see. I'd love to give them some extra practice simplifying these complex expressions before we move on to solving linear equations. All the extra practice problems (for simplifying expressions) that I've found online either look too simple to be worth it, or they are solving equations, which we haven't done yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was having my kids work through some of the Key to Algebra workbooks that we already have to solidify skills.

With a lot of the problems in the early chapters, you can probably write additional problems pretty easily. (On the other hand my kids act like they've never seen problems when I give them the sets a second or third time.)

Thank you all so much for your advice! This is just what I needed. The extra worksheets and re-assigning problem sets will definitely work. Alcamus also looks amazing - I didn't even know it was there. I have to confess...I logged in & started working a few problems to see how it worked and got hooked. I've been working algebra problems all evening...I couldn't stop until I completed my quest. :)

Thanks again,

Alcamus also looks amazing - I didn't even know it was there. I have to confess...I logged in & started working a few problems to see how it worked and got hooked.

Same thing happened to me late last night - I could barely keep my eyes open but I couldn't stop :lol:

ETA: this is worse than angry birds

Edited by wapiti