Menu

s/0 executive functioning info

Here's a list of recommended books from this site.

I'm still checking this site out. I'm not sure where there coming from yet. http://www.concordspedpac.org/bookslearning.htm#nomind'>http://www.concordspedpac.org/bookslearning.htm#nomind

No Mind Left Behind: Understanding and Fostering Executive Control-

-The Eight Essential Brain Skills Every Child Needs to Thrive newleft.gif

by Dr. Adam J. Cox (2007)

Click on cover to order

No-Mind-Left-Behind.jpg

Hardcover

288 pages

1st edition

Perigee Trade 0399533591 From Publishers Weekly:

Clinical psychologist Cox's new work is a helpful, if incomplete, guide for anyone who work with children and teenagers, based on what he terms "Factor Ex," "shorthand for the eight pillars of executive control." These eight "thinking skills" are inherently worthy qualities: initiation (the ability to get started on a task), flexibility, attention, organization, planning, working memory (aka short-term memory), self-awareness and emotional regulation (maintaining a sense of "proportion" in one's feelings). Cox devotes a chapter to each skill, explaining clearly what it is, how adults can recognize their child's ability in each and helpful strategies for eliciting improvement. Situation-specific examples are extremely effective, giving readers a concrete sense of each skill's import, and what specifically one can say or do to help develop it. However, Cox's expectations for his charges are extremely high, suggesting that his methods will produce children capable "in multiple environments-on the football field and practicing piano; in the SAT prep course and socializing at the prom"; such a broad spectrum of confidence is a lot to promise, and for many people-let alone children-nearly impossible to achieve. Though he makes occasional nods to the idea of childhood as something other than a prep-for-success regimen, Cox's calls for "wiggle room" could be more insistent and involved; as it is, he leaves the kids little room for self-discovery and simple play.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Return to Top Executive Function in Education: From Theory to Practice

by Lynn Meltzer, plus a whole list of researchers and practitioners from education, neuroscience, and psychology (2007) newleft.gif

Click on cover to order

ExecFuncinEd.jpg

Hardcover

320 pages

1st edition

Guilford Press 1593854285

This book brings together leading researchers and practitioners from education, neuroscience, and psychology. It presents a theoretical framework for understanding executive function difficulties together with a range of effective approaches to assessment and instruction. It describes executive function processes in specific disorders: Learning Disabilites (LD), Language-Based Learning Disabilities (LBLD), Nonverbal Learning Disabilities (NVLD), and Autism spectrum disorders, as well as ways to support all students in developing vital skills for self-directed learning. Specific teaching methods are discussed for reading, writing, and math. Scholarly and authoritative yet highly practical, the book provides guidelines for intervening at the level of the individual child, the classroom, and the entire school.

Return to Top Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention

by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare (2004) newleft.gif

Click on cover to order

ExecFunc.jpg

Paperback

129 pages

Guilford Press

The concept of executive functioning, by research in neuropsychology, provides new ways of viewing children's strengths and weaknesses. This book covers in detail and has multiple examples of interventions, including environmental modifications, interventions addressing specific executive skills, coaching, and whole class strategies. These interventions are not only based on solid research support but also have the added advantage of being practical and feasible for teachers and parents to use on a regular basis. There are several examples are provided to aid readers in understanding the the number of assessments and treatments, and many helpful handouts facilitate implementation. The back of book are checklists for specific guidance for informed professional practices. Return to Top The Myth of Laziness

by Mel Levine (2002)Click on cover to order

MythLaziness.jpg

Reseaching things here too.:grouphug:

O.K. I think I see who is generating this website. It looks like a parent support group for special needs children in MA.

http://www.concordspedpac.org/

It's Nan in Mass. Do a board search and basically read anything by her. I think one of the book titles included "that crumpled paper." So search "crumpled" with Nan in Mass (advanced search) and you'll be on your way. Set it to show her posts instead of threads. There were more posts, and basically anything she has posted you'll find will probably apply to you. I love sitting down late at night and just reading through someone's posts. You get a totally different sense of how things fit together with them.

Heart's joy, that site looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am bookmarking to read more of it later. I also have 2 dc who struggle with EF but I haven't focused on it like I should in the past.

OhElizabeth, I was looking for some of the Nan in Mass recommendations. I can only get 250 of her posts when I do any searches, and she has a LOT, so I didn't have any luck yet. If anyone finds it please link. She is a wealth of information.:001_smile:

See if this works

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9259756

I got it by going to search, clicking advanced search, then on that page putting in her name, the term crumpled, and setting it to posts, not threads. Got 16 hits. If you put in multiple terms, it shows any posts or threads that have ANY of those terms. So basically you either search with one term or use Google.

Nan's threads sometimes have a "Nan's wisdom" tag at the bottom which you can click to find more.

Crosspost - Why you should work on TWTM skills - narration, dictation, outlining, etc

Views: 3,054

Posted By Nan in Mass

icon1.gifHere is the book: That Crumpled Paper Was Due...

Here is the book: That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

And the site is: http://www.bucks.edu/~specpop/topics.htm

: )

The website looks worthwhile for almost anyone.

• 4 weeks later...