Scheduling for my Aspie...

He is 14 and high functioning.

He is doing the following:

Biology

TT7 and then Pre-Algebra

finishing up Language Lessons for the secondary child and then OM 9

HOAW and notebooking

Spanish with Rosetta Stone

I gave him a list of work this week and he is overwhelmed. I think I am going to just give him one assignment at a time. Then have him return when done to turn in work and get the next one.

I would love some input. I am under a lot of stress currently. I have never homeschooled with babies either. We started last week and things are very messy. I have bee homeschooling since he was in first grade except for one semester in 4th.

If that still overwhelms him, then I do just like you planned. It will be easier on YOU if he can handle a daily schedule. That's why I'd at least try it.

My 17 1/2yo Aspie (11th grade) couldn't handle a weekly schedule until he was 16yo. He loves it now. Sometimes now he will come to me with his weekly schedule and ask if he can switch some assignment days.

Do what works for him right now.

If that still overwhelms him, then I do just like you planned. It will be easier on YOU if he can handle a daily schedule. That's why I'd at least try it.

My 17 1/2yo Aspie (11th grade) couldn't handle a weekly schedule until he was 16yo. He loves it now. Sometimes now he will come to me with his weekly schedule and ask if he can switch some assignment days.

Do what works for him right now.

I agree.

I hs my Aspergery/PDD-NOS 10th grader. And he like most Aspies are very literal. I suggest breaking down the weekly list into daily lists for now. Your larger goal (IEP) is to get him to feel confident with organization and being independent with assignments. But it will take time.

Have him try the daily system. Then in a few months, try incorporating organizational skills that help him see both daily and weekly goals -- like a large wall calendar. My son loves seeing the week's lists and gets anxious if it isn't on a calendar.

I know there are books on Amazon for getting these skills in Aspies. HTH

I give my spectrum ds a weekly schedule, but it is broken into days. He can see what is coming and has some flexibility, but it gives him the structure and predictability that he needs. We have things scheduled to work together each day and he has a to do list that he is responsible for finishing on his own.

He can see the entire week, but it's broken down into daily assignments.

This year, I'm using a two-page planner from Donna Young's website. It gives me more room to put detailed assignments. I was totally prepared for a 2-page weekly/daily planner overwhelm my son when I first showed it to him. To my surprise, it didn't bother him at all. Now, I did make sure I showed him the new planner with assignments written on it BEFORE the first day of school. I'm sure that helped too. Baby steps always help (shoot...they even help ME:)