Menu

Splash! 2011 at U of Chicago -- Saturday, October 1st

Splash! course offerings are now up for U of Chicago. The event will take place Saturday, October 1st.

In case you don't know, Splash! is a day-long event held at U.S. universities throughout the year which allows high schoolers to explore unusual and interesting topics. Think rabbit trails. U of C's is free and even offers a free lunch for students. Free is good! :)

My son took a few classes last year and thought they were great. Most of the teachers are U of C students, although Dan Zaharapol (AoPS instructor) taught one of his classes, too. I was told last year that students came from all over the Midwest.

Last year's event was well-organized and many students and volunteers were around to help the high schoolers. But! U of C is located in a neighborhood called Hyde Park (we used to live there), south of Chicago's city center. This is not a safe area, so I would recommend walking your student to class and then grabbing a cup of coffee or touring the campus while you wait. The campus should be safe, but it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

If you allow an extra day or two, this might also be a good time for a college tour even if you do it yourself. U of C has a gorgeous campus, especially in fall. You could also visit U of C's Oriental Institute Museum, the nearby Museum of Science and Industry (drive to it for safety's sake), or places in the city.

https://splashchicago.learningu.org/

http://www.uchicago.edu/index.shtml

http://oi.uchicago.edu/

Northwestern U's Splash will take place next spring in Evanston, just north of Chicago.

My kids have been to Stanford's Splash for at least three years. Now all their friends go, too, and make it an absolute priority. It's gotten much more popular (and crowded) in the last few years, but it's still a top-notch event. And yes, for many of the parents it's their first time on the Stanford campus, and they're blown away!

I can't search for the website right now, and I'm sure someone else will post it soon, but you can try searching under Learning Unlimited and/or Dan Zaharapol -- I think that may lead to a site that shows all the universities that host Splash-type events.

Splash and Dan Z are awesome. My kids didn't have a chance to go as high schoolers, but both have been involved in Splash at their respective colleges. Go, if you have the chance. :D

yep, that's the one.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

Jenny, thanks for finding the link!

I would go to Stanford just to hang out on the campus. :)

The first year my kids' friends came, we took them all exploring after their classes. It was a dark October evening, and we trooped over to the mausoleum where the Stanfords are buried. It can be reached only by a path through a field with oak trees -- spooky! The kids (all boys) also had a blast running through ravines on the way to the mausoleum, while we moms stood around and chatted :001_smile:. Now the kids (and some moms, including a professional photographer) make sure to bring their cameras and schedule time for wandering around campus snapping pictures. We've also visited the chapel and a library with rare books -- one highlight was a copy of Frederick Douglass's autobiography inscribed by the author. Oh, and there's a free museum with interesting collections ...