Menu

Famous artists/composers for morning board? Flashcards available?

Hi,

Has anyone seen any type of flashcards for famous artists and composers? Something similar to the Presidents flash cards that Target always sells would be perfect. A picture on the front and some basic info on the back of style/works/years etc. Or a bigger size is fine too. We're using the Scientists from Veritas Press this year which are 5x7 size.

I'm doing a morning board this year and would love to be able to add a section for artists/composers. I know I can download and print stuff; I'm trying to avoid that if I can!

I just have first graders and this is more for familiarity than absorbing tons of knowledge.

Open to ideas! and specifics (ie links) appreciated!

Thanks,

Mary

Take a look at this: http://www.smarthistory.org/pop-art.html

Very short intros to works & artists on the web.

Instead of flashcards, would you be okay with virtual presentations you could repeat?

If you go to the Dover Publications site, they have some, here is an example

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home-gift/Picasso-Paintings-Cards-24-Ready-to-Mail-Cards/e/9780486293608?itm=7

I think these are post card size, but there are several categories if you search through a bit.

These are a bit pricey but nice:

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=0510&Category_Code=FEATURE

Edited by one*mom

I just bought a bunch of postcard books. Some are by artist, some are by style or period (Impressionist, painters of the Renaissance, American painters). I then took them apart.

But I love your idea of something with some bold, basic facts on the back. I don't think this exists, so someone should make a set!

btw, what is a "morning board"? Sounds interesting.

Check out Ambleside Online.

Or if you really want it all handed to you, you can buy the art cards from Core Knowledge. They are WONDEFUL! 8x10 prints of beautiful art, and the best part is that on the back they give you all the info you need including exactly what the big deal is about this particular piece, age-appropriate questions to ask your kids related to this particular piece, etc. Art now gets done at our house because of them - these are truly art-for-dummies appropriate! (I was a CPA in my former lifetime so had absolutely nothing in the art knowledge category to share with my kids.)