Menu

Looking for a Journalism curriculum

My daughter was signed up to do a journalism co-op class that she was super excited about. Now the class is canceled, and this was the class she was most excited about! I took several journalism classes in hs and college and have worked for a couple newspapers, so I feel I can do a fairly good job teaching this. But, I'm looking for a curriculum as well. Can anyone recommend one? Something that deals specifically with newspaper, etc. writing? The best writing courses I ever took were my journalism classes.

I don't know much about journalism, but I wanted to share what I read in What High Schools Don't Tell You about school journalism that may be helpful to you. What High Schools Don't Tell You is a book about how a teenager can get into a very competitive college by participating in stand-out extracurricular activities. While that message can be very offensive (I think there's more to life than getting into Harvard ;)), her ideas for extracurricular activities are eye-opening. Here are some quotes about journalism from What High Schools Don't Tell You:

"Most student editiors know little more about journalism than what they've learned by working on their high school or middle school newspaper. So if your child takes even a single outside journalism course, he or she is likely to be far ahead of the game and far more knowledgeable than the other staffers." (p. 221).

"Many high school newspaper advisers know little about journalism, have never worked for a news organization, and have never had any journalism education." (p. 222).

If I were you, I would go ahead and order a high school or college journalism textbook, and work your way through it with your daughter. The articles that she writes for assignments, have her submit to local newspapers or magazines. Many local papers would love to get local students writing for them, perhaps without pay. If she has articles published, hold onto copies! They may be helpful in college admissions.

Oh yeah, and What High Schools Don't Tell You also suggests having her write a blog!

Honesty, I think journalism is one of those things where you need a) good writing skills and b) an apprenticeship.

Do you have a small local paper that might be interested in a column written from the perspective of a local teen or homeschooler? Or that she could even volunteer a bit of time every week with?

Sorry for the delayed response - we got flooded again. Perhaps bc I can imagine the disappointment over the cancelled class, your post stuck with me. I hope you're still checking responses & find the following two online sites helpful:

News Writing @ Annenberg - A video instructional series on writing and reporting for college and high school classrooms and adult learners; 15 half-hour video programs. (Produced in 1995 includes input from over 100 journalists including Bob Woodward, Linda Ellerbee)

link: http://www.learner.org/resources/series44.html?pop=yes&pid=520#

Poynter's News University (my favorite) - ...innovative online journalism and media training programs. We are open to journalists, bloggers, freelance writers, journalism students. Anyone who wants to improve their journalism-based skills. (Very current. Variety of courses (free to $$$))

link: http://www.newsu.org/

:cheers2: