Menu

s/o bookshelves

One of my favorite pastimes....bookcase browsing. NOT bOOkcase browsing though :001_huh:

Here are some of my faves:

http://www.curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/10999-yea-or-nay-spool-bookcase-coffee-table

http://pinterest.com/pin/49664787/

http://pinterest.com/pin/110617776/

http://pinterest.com/pin/27127896/

We like these ones a lot, and have 11 of them in various sizes in our family room:

Woodland Mills bookcases

I found the company on eBay when I was searching for solid wood American-made bookshelves. Their products are unfinished pine and are made in Pennsylvania. The quality is very good for the price. We've come across an occasional small crack or ding (mostly with the 82" tall ones, which seem more prone to damage in transit), but nothing we've considered serious enough to complain about.

All of ours are the 12" deep framed style. Compared to the basic bookcases, they take a bit longer to assemble, but they look great and hold a lot, and the edging prevents little folks from pulling the shelves out. Extra shelves are $8 - $12 each, and are very handy if you have a lot of puzzles, manipulatives, etc. We've also used the low 36" wide bookcases as a room divider, to create a reading corner or toddler space.

I hope they'll also start selling the shallow multimedia bookcases again. They'd be just the right size for storing paperback fiction series in a hallway or closet. Oh, how lovely it would be to banish Enid Blyton and "Puppy Patrol" from our literature area. :D

We like these ones a lot, and have 11 of them in various sizes in our family room:

Woodland Mills bookcases

I found the company on eBay when I was searching for solid wood American-made bookshelves. Their products are unfinished pine and are made in Pennsylvania. The quality is very good for the price. We've come across an occasional small crack or ding (mostly with the 82" tall ones, which seem more prone to damage in transit), but nothing we've considered serious enough to complain about.

All of ours are the 12" deep framed style. Compared to the basic bookcases, they take a bit longer to assemble, but they look great and hold a lot, and the edging prevents little folks from pulling the shelves out. Extra shelves are $8 - $12 each, and are very handy if you have a lot of puzzles, manipulatives, etc. We've also used the low 36" wide bookcases as a room divider, to create a reading corner or toddler space.

I hope they'll also start selling the shallow multimedia bookcases again. They'd be just the right size for storing paperback fiction series in a hallway or closet. Oh, how lovely it would be to banish Enid Blyton and "Puppy Patrol" from our literature area. :D

Those are very similar to my favorite bookcase plan. I don't know if you can see this album or not: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=169454949743311&set=a.169454889743317.31824.100000364207096&type=1&permPage=1

(That's my dd, helping a little and complaining a lot. :tongue_smilie:)It is from Ana White's site and is called The Favorite Bookshelf. Small variations (curved header) are easy enough. I didn't add crown molding to mine since I eventually plan a row of them. I may do it then so they look built in.

I like furniture that has feet so I can vacuum under it. She has another plan called "The Willy" though that sits right on the floor. Add the edging (1x2's) and a header (1x4) to that one, and it's basically the same.

Ana has a ton of bookcase plans and they are SO easy to build. Easy!! And fun too.

I wish I was building one today instead of working on drywalling a pair of skylights. Ugh. :tongue_smilie:

Woodland Mills bookcases

:drool5: