Menu

History of US question/Syllabus

I couldn't see any samples of what the Jr High Syllabus entails for the Hakim books at Hewitt. Does anyone know if there are additional literature books listed to go with the time period you are studying?

I know there are books listed in the back of the books for additional reading.

I would like to add in some Lit Guides for a few, so I can include literature with this, rather then a seperate lit program altogether.

Besides Progeny Press, what other lit guides are good? I know there are some free ones, but there are never any teacher guides or answers.

Also, I was shocked at the shipping price at Hewitt. It is a $10.00 book but shipping was $11.00!

We used the Hewitt syllabus last year. It is great, but no, it does not list additional lit. selections. However, these are abundant and easy to find elsewhere (ie: Sonlight catalog, etc.)

Basically, the syllabus divides the reading of all 10 books over a 36-week school year. There is a test with answers for each book (multiple choice, short answer, extra credit essay). There is also a list of several (40 or so) project suggestions which could be done with any of the books. The idea is for your child to select projects that interest them to complete relating to their reading of the Hakim books.

I thought it was a great resource for the price, although the shipping does sound high.

I had the same issue with Hewitt when I ordered refill worksheets for Lightning Lit. When I emailed them, they just told me to request parcel post and they would ship it that way making the shipping $6. They said they are working on a new website and shipping options should be one of the upgrades :001_smile:.