Menu

SOTW 1 and Maps

OrganicAnn

We are finally starting SOTW1. MY DD doesn't like too much wars, violence and sadness, but likes history. So I've put it off till now (2nd grade). I was planning just to do the book - real aloud. My DD has problems with visual/spatial stuff. So I am thinking that some map work with along with the book would be good.

Do I need the activity guide or should I just get some black line maps and use a globe.

You can also look at History Odyssey by Pandia Press. It has very nice maps, absolutely wonderful book suggestions (from good non-fiction to some very enjoyable fiction) and some really fun activities. We are really enjoying the "Ancient Rhymes" books quite a lot-- I ended up buying all four of those.

Another source of good maps if you don't want all that is MapTrek. You can download the software (buy it through Amazon) and print out the blackline maps; they also supply full color "answer key" maps. The MapTrek download includes both basic historical maps and Biblical- Judeo-Christian history maps (ie the location of the 12 tribes, Abraham's journey, etc) that you can use or ignore depending upon your own view of things.

Have fun with it. My kids are really enjoying history-- we use a wide variety of sources (including SOTW for DS8) to explore each topic in history, and they are absorbing it and loving it more than they ever expected to like it!

I personally love the activity guide for so many reasons. Included are map work and coloring pages, but also tons of supplemental book suggestions and hands on projects. In my opinion, the activity book really makes the program come alive. If it's helpful, I have blogged about the activities in the first few chapters here.

:iagree: For us, the Activity Guide is the best part of this whole thing. It is SO helpful and makes it SO easy to add on books, activities, and so on to make everything seem more "alive" as fairytalemama said.