Menu

Has anyone successfully used Teaching the Classics with only the syllabus?

Rabbit

Yes, the syllabus has some great questions in it though for analyzing literature but you could get these many different places so I don't think it would be worth it to buy just the syllabus.

My kids loved watching the DVDs though. The teacher is really great and inspiring and makes literature come alive. Very enjoyable learning.

I purchased and watched the DVDs with my dh and after we were all done, I realized I would have gotten just as much out of it if I had only used the syllabus. I think it depends on how you learn...if you are visual/audio, the DVDs might work better. I usually learn better watching someone but for some reason, the DVDs seemed to drag. My dc might enjoy the DVDs as he is an engaging speaker but IMHO, you will be just fine with the syllabus.

I've only used the syllabus and I think we've been very successful with it (of course, success may be in the eyes of the beholder). I've been having the kids do the story charts with their Sonlight readers and then they write a literary analysis paper from combination of the Teaching the Classics syllabus and an example from the IEW structure and style syllabus. I haven't even been tempted to buy the DVD's because it's been going so well and they have learned a lot about identifying the different literature analysis components and are getting really good at it.

HTH

My personal view. . .

Yes, you could probably go with just the syllabus. However, the DVD really helped me. (To be perfectly honest it helped because I spent SO MUCH money, I was going to be darned if I didn't watch it, and had I just bought the syllabus, I may have put it to the side and forgotten it. Been guilty of that before!)

I don't think you'd get near as much out of it the other way though. (I say this as I know someone was asking to borrow my DVDs, and not buy the syllabus.)

I'm glad I purchased the DVDs (not that I'm necessarily visual -- audio would have been fine), because they helped me clear up a number of questions I had. I've actually watched them twice, and I got more out of them the second time. I will probably go through them a third time even.

Oh, but if you decide to get the DVDs, it's much more fun to watch them with others. You get whole new perspectives on things.

I bought the DVD's too and really enjoyed Adam Andrews as a speaker. He's got a nice style of lecturing and my kids really liked his rendition of Rikki-tikki-tavi:).

I'm thinking about watching the DVD's with my kids the first week of school (skipping the parts that are obviously teacher/parent oriented). I figure that will give the kids a good mental picture of what *I* envision us doing.

I bought both several months ago, watched the first DVD, was bored silly, and still haven't watched the rest.

I am glad you asked the question, because I can see some people have just used the syllabus, so I will do that. I don't seem to be a learning from DVD type person. I just want to skip and skim to the important bits, and with the DVD, you cant do that as well as scanning a page. Must be my learning style!