Menu

I htink I have lost my mind

DH is turning 40 this year and I thought I'd have a surprise party. Well I already have over 60 people on this list. I don't know how to feed 60 people, let alone have enough room in my house for 60 people! And his birthday is in July! Who wants to be outside in July? IN NC???

Do I cut the list? Do I go for it anyway and just trust that people will be fine? Do I say that kids can't come and cut about 1/3 that way? Or should I just have the nearest and dearest? (I could maybe get it down to 10-15.) Or bag the whole thing?

:w00t:

I had 100 for my dh's 43rd birthday. I served subs, we have a neat shop that forms bread into letters and numbers and I got various subs that spelled his name, salads, sushi, and pasta (penne with Vodka sauce). I bought 2 Costco sheet cakes ($15 each.) Maybe you could rent a party tent. I borrowed chairs from church.

What about:

1) hiring a caterer (this may be cost-prohibitive)

2) cooking burgers and hot dogs and asking everyone else to bring a salad

or side? (yes, I realize this puts you outside)

3) hiring a caterer for PART (have them fix just the meat...lucky you in NC -

that would be pulled pork, right?) and ask everyone to bring a salad or

side.

4) Just do cake and homemade ice cream (or store ice cream) and play some

games. Turn on a sprinkler outdoors for the children. They won't mind the

heat.

5) If you wanted to be outside for space could you borrow one or two of

those pop-up tent/canopy things? We have one for tailgating. Shade

makes a big difference.

You must make this FUN for yourself somehow, or I fear you will be miserable. I think having someone fix the meat (if you can afford it), you doing drinks and the cake and asking everyone else to bring a side dish/salad works best.

Free advice which is only worth what you pay for it! ;)

DH is turning 40 this year and I thought I'd have a surprise party. Well I already have over 60 people on this list. I don't know how to feed 60 people, let alone have enough room in my house for 60 people! And his birthday is in July! Who wants to be outside in July? IN NC???

Do I cut the list? Do I go for it anyway and just trust that people will be fine? Do I say that kids can't come and cut about 1/3 that way? Or should I just have the nearest and dearest? (I could maybe get it down to 10-15.) Or bag the whole thing?

:w00t:

Brainstorming here....Make it an evening party and serve desserts only. Or have it early evening and serve appetizers and finger food (Sam's Club or Costco) and cake and ice cream. Keep the food simple and serve beer and chilled white wine (nothing expensive or fancy). Cut out kids or run the sprinkler and let everyone run through it. Find some friends with the pop-up canopies (EZ Ups or something similar) that you can borrow.

Of course with all the preparations, it might be hard to keep it a secret for long. :001_smile:

I think you can do 60 but it is a lot of people, especially for an outside party in July. If it's in the evening, it would be more doable. I have had 60 in my house, but I had help with the food. I think it's a good idea to have at least all the drinks outside - get a big table - at least 6 feet. Have coolers under or around it with ice, soda, and beer. Have napkins, glasses and wine on the table itself. This will keep people outside a good bit:) I would keep the food inside because of bugs.

I certainly would consider making it an adult only party except for your own children and maybe one friend for each of them.

Chix Wings (you may want to order these from a local restaurant see if they will give a discount about 3 pans)

Cold Sub- Sandwiches

Cold Salads:You can make it ahead of time:)

Pasta Salad(a must)

Potato Salad

Fruit Salad

etc.

Baked Beans 3 Large cans with Brown Sugar and BBq sauce

Punch

If you find a good deal on Spiral Ham ...? ...

I was expecting 45 people and purchased things from Sam's and Walmart.

I purchased: Deli Select Turkey 6.97 for 3 packs..the meat is thin, sliced ham(5lbs for 14.77), rolls(from Sams..these were a BIG hit!), strawberries, a pineapple, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, pickles, Ranch dressing, chips, French onion dip, potato salad, broccoli salad(I made), coke, sprite, a sheet cake(I don't like the taste of Costco's cakes:ack2:)

I think I spent around $200 and that was for food, cake, drinks, napkins, plates, utensils, trays, ds card and balloons!

Given that only 15 people came...we are still eating on the food!

If you live in a subdivision and have access to the club house. I would rent it, that way the kids could play in the pool!

You could do hamburgers(there are some frozen burgers at Sam's..not the best but reasonable!) and hotdogs with chips and dip, baked beans, potato salad(this might not be a good idea if you are having it outside), watermelon, and cake.

Sam's also have some good frozen chicken wings..but this would be a lot of work on you, since you would have to heat them up and keep them warm.

I would definitely do it in the evening.

If you have already invited people and not specified adults only, I would leave it alone..if not I would tell them no kids. What are you going to do about your kids though???

I would ask that everyone MUST RSVP..since you have so many invited.

If you are going to have kids, have some activities for them like: volleyball, horse shoes, water balloons, or a slip and slide.

I would consider getting a couple of those tent things and a couple of outdoor fans.

OH..Sam's and Walmart have a mister that you can put up to keep cool...this would be fun for the kids and the adults!

Good luck!!!