Menu

Question about Scope of Jacobs Algebra

Someone told me today that Jacobs Algebra actually encompasses all of Algebra I and part of Algebra II and just needs some trigonometry added to equal Algebra II. Can someone speak to that? I did find one review that said that it could be used to teach Algebra I and II consecutively but that is all that I've found.

We did most of Algebra I last year (8th grade) and am finishing up this year before moving on to Jacobs Geometry. Should I do a trig instead of moving right into Geometry so that I can put down Algebra II on a transcript?

It does go a bit deeper than SOME Algebra 1 programs--but it does not equate an Algebra 2 class or really even part of one.

Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 have a NATURAL overlap--- Much of Algebra 2 is a 'revisit' of Algebra 1 concepts--but the students are asked for more (the problems are more complex--more variety and the answers are not all perfect whole numbers). Algebra 2 also introduces concepts that will be taught DEEPER in Pre-Calc.

I've had several Algebra 2 students who used Jacobs Algebra and were 'A' students in it. They had PLENTY of new information with in our Algebra 2 class.

Trigonometry is NOT part of an Algebra 2 course... introductory Trig (basic right triangle sin,cos and tan functions/Law of Sines/Law of Cosines) has been moved to Geometry. Some OLDER Algebra 2 texts contain OPTIONL chapters on Trig-- but these rarely cover the material in a full one-semester Trig course (now part of Pre-Calc). Back in the dark ages students COULD complete the Algebra 2 with Trig texts then go straight into Calc... but only the very top (cream of the crop) students were able to do this. Now that more and more students are needing/wanting to take Calc, Pre-Calc has become more valuable--even necessary.

After you work the Geometry program you should go into Algebra 2.

Edited by Jann in TX

It does go a bit deeper than SOME Algebra 1 programs--but it does not equate an Algebra 2 class or really even part of one.

Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 have a NATURAL overlap--- Much of Algebra 2 is a 'revisit' of Algebra 1 concepts--but the students are asked for more (the problems are more complex--more variety and the answers are not all perfect whole numbers). Algebra 2 also introduces concepts that will be taught DEEPER in Pre-Calc.

I've had several Algebra 2 students who used Jacobs Algebra and were 'A' students in it. They had PLENTY of new information with in our Algebra 2 class.

Trigonometry is NOT part of an Algebra 2 course... introductory Trig (basic right triangle sin,cos and tan functions/Law of Sines/Law of Cosines) has been moved to Geometry. Some OLDER Algebra 2 texts contain OPTIONL chapters on Trig-- but these rarely cover the material in a full one-semester Trig course (now part of Pre-Calc). Back in the dark ages students COULD complete the Algebra 2 with Trig texts then go straight into Calc... but only the very top (cream of the crop) students were able to do this. Now that more and more students are needing/wanting to take Calc, Pre-Calc has become more valuable--even necessary.

After you work the Geometry program you should go into Algebra 2.

Thank you so much, Jann.