Menu

Making copies from a spiral bound book

baybedaul

I just purchased RightStart's Activities for the Abacus and the accompanying worksheets. It says on the inside of the front cover that I can make copies for my homeschool. I'd like to do this, but the worksheets are spiral bound and double-sided. Gah! It's a thick book too. It would take me hours to copy the pages one at a time, but if I tear them out I know they will have that funky edge and get jammed in the machine. So I saw another poster ask about cutting off a spine. Can you cut off a spiral binding in one swipe too? I'm also worried that some of the text is too close to the spiral wire.

I can't possibly be the only one frustrated with the design. Or is there a simpler solution I'm just not seeing?

I cut the spiral binding off my Teaching Textbooks...actually I initially tried to uncoil it off and gave up on that pretty quick, lol. I have never tried to copy them ~ I just put them in page protectors.

Ah, see. That's the solution I wasn't thinking about. I don't know why, I've done that with our maze books... I've just never had a spiral before. Sheesh, doesn't take much to throw me. I think I'll try that, my kids love writing with the dry erase markers. And I get to save a tree, right? :D

Normally I'd like to have a paper copy so I could file it away, but we're just using these as a supplement so I'll get over it. I'll keep Kinko's in mind though the next time I decide to embark on such a project. I was hoping to just use the copier myself, but some things are probably better left to professionals. :laugh:

You can "untwist" the spiral binding, and then if you have or can borrow... one of those scanners where you put a stack of paper in... and then create a PDF.... so cool. Fix the number count part... (easy to do if you know how... So pages like the title page don't mess with the numbering) Then print to your heart's content. It's so awesome!!! Need page 20?? Just do a search for page 20 and there it is :) Then, just remember that once you've made copies... you shouldn't sell the book. (but... that's another story :))