Menu

Phonics Pathways - 9th or 10th edition?? Opinions?

diaperjoys

10th ed?? I just bought my book new around Nov or Dec and it was the 9th ed. I see no problems with the 9th ed. It seems like they come out with a new edition so often who knows why. I would recommend the 9th ed. I have not seen (and did not know there was a) 10th ed though. I bought word works with ours and that is SO much fun for my ds's! I would highly recommend that!

I have the 9th ed and read the description of the 10th. It sounds the same to me. Phonics doesn't change, and she is using the same method from one edition to the next. I think the constant new editions is nothing more than a marketing scheme. Maybe they have a few more black and white outline drawings?? Who knows. You can't see any samples. I would save my money, and buy a second hand book. :)

10th ed?? I just bought my book new around Nov or Dec and it was the 9th ed. I see no problems with the 9th ed. It seems like they come out with a new edition so often who knows why. I would recommend the 9th ed. I have not seen (and did not know there was a) 10th ed though. I bought word works with ours and that is SO much fun for my ds's! I would highly recommend that!

Oh, can you tell me more about Word Works, pretty please??

OP, We've used the 9th edition successfully here. I bought it used. If you have the money, I say go for the 10th. Otherwise, save some money and just go with the 9th!

Oh, can you tell me more about Word Works, pretty please??

Word Works is a huge set of cards that you can play different games with that follow your phonics pathways studies! The games are

Go Hunt- similar to go fish with words- results: to speed up reading skills while having fun

I Spy- You put word cards facing up and say a word and your child has to pick out that card- results: to speed up scanning and reading skills

Findit- similar to memory with words-- results: develops memory and reading skills

WordBird- this is kinda its own thing but it helps with memory and reading skills

They have cards for the 2 letter blends all the way up to the words at the end of the book. My ds's LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I had these since buying Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways (I bought all 3 at the same time) I just wish I would have taken these out last year when I bought them LOL

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Word Works is a huge set of cards that you can play different games with that follow your phonics pathways studies! The games are

Go Hunt- similar to go fish with words- results: to speed up reading skills while having fun

I Spy- You put word cards facing up and say a word and your child has to pick out that card- results: to speed up scanning and reading skills

Findit- similar to memory with words-- results: develops memory and reading skills

WordBird- this is kinda its own thing but it helps with memory and reading skills

They have cards for the 2 letter blends all the way up to the words at the end of the book. My ds's LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I had these since buying Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways (I bought all 3 at the same time) I just wish I would have taken these out last year when I bought them LOL

LOVE

did you buy the cards or make them

LOVE

did you buy the cards or make them

I bought them but it is very possible to make them. Just use the words from the current lesson and past lessons (I would make them as you go so you don't have a bunch to make at once). Sometime you will need 2 sets of cards (you can tell by the descriptions.) Personally I am very thankful that they are available to purchase simply for the time it saves me! I don't know how those with more than 4 kids do it because I am :willy_nilly: most days now that all my kid are in school :lol:

Here is the link from RR. I forgot to link them in my first post. I went back and put it in there :)

I bought them but it is very possible to make them. Just use the words from the current lesson and past lessons (I would make them as you go so you don't have a bunch to make at once). Sometime you will need 2 sets of cards (you can tell by the descriptions.) Personally I am very thankful that they are available to purchase simply for the time it saves me! I don't know how those with more than 4 kids do it because I am :willy_nilly: most days now that all my kid are in school :lol:

Here is the link from RR. I forgot to link them in my first post. I went back and put it in there :)

Oh, I love too! :tongue_smilie: Ha, I was going to ask for a link, but you beat me to it. Thanks!

Word Works looks just like the new Phonics Pathways Boosters.

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Pathways-Boosters-Teaching-Jump-Start/dp/1118022440/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315005797&sr=8-3

Also, the tenth edition contains a few things which are available on her web site. This was discussed in a previous thread. I've got to go run "check if there are peepees ;) or I'd get it for you. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Pathways-Boosters-Teaching-Jump-Start/dp/1118022440/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315005797&sr=8-3

Also, the tenth edition contains a few things which are available on her web site. This was discussed in a previous thread. I've got to go run "check if there are peepees ;) or I'd get it for you. ;)

Oh WOW, this is awesome! Also, I never knew you could print certificacates for the five levels or whatever! http://www.dorbooks.com/certificates.html

Thanks!!!

OP, so I was looking at the differences between the 9th and 10th edition. Here are the changes:

The new 10th edition of Phonics Pathways is the same classic book you have always known and loved, but is expanded with many new features: (1) Pictures now illustrate every sound introduced, not just the short-vowel sounds. (2) There are completely rewritten and expanded lessons for dividing multisyllable words to clarify this sometimes-tricky issue.

Pictures might be a major plus for a more visual child. If you're using a separate spelling program, the multisyllable clarification may not be such a big deal. HTH!

so does this contain ALL the card games from Word Works or not, i can't tell.