Menu

Home schooling in Mexico

chilanga

I'm strongly considering home schooling in Mexico and wondering if anyone else home schools in a foreign country (I am American - but not with the embassy). There are no homeschooling groups here that I know of and there is no such thing as a library in order to check out books. Do you think it would be possible?

I'm strongly considering home schooling in Mexico and wondering if anyone else home schools in a foreign country (I am American - but not with the embassy). There are no homeschooling groups here that I know of and there is no such thing as a library in order to check out books. Do you think it would be possible?

I read this blog by a homeschooling family in Mexico:

http://homeschoolenpuebla.blogspot.com/

I also read this yahoo group that has families in various Spanish speaking countries:

http://mx.groups.yahoo.com/group/Educando_En_Familia/

I don't have much practical advice because we're in the US. DH is from Mexico and I read these sites to learn about resources in Spanish.

There is also a bilingual board here that might be helpful.

Edited by linguistmama

So I'm interested in how home schoolers in foreign countries handle the whole "no library" thing. Do you just buy all your reading books, use a kindle, etc.? And also, how do you provide "socialization" for your kids besides classes i.e. dance, tennis etc.? Are you able to maintain friendships with kids that were friends with your children before you started homeschooling?

Any advice would be so appreciated. I want to start home schooling but I guess the bottom line is I'm scared because we don't have the same resources that families living in U.S. have.

- Mom of 3 wonderful kids

This is my first year homeschooling in Mexico, so take this for what it is worth.

Some curriculum can be obtained electronically, and I use my Kindle for some read-alouds. I order boxes of books for my daughters through BetterWorld Books (free shipping to Mexico). I made a curriculum run to the States at the beginning of the summer and expect to do this on a yearly basis. Friends and family have brought materials. I have also sent books to family members in the States who mail them to me (I think it was around $25 for five pounds.).

I would not send via post or courier CDs or DVDs; customs will gouge, and you run the risk of the item being stolen (Don’t ask me how I know. :glare:).

Also, there are at least a couple English-language bookshops in Mexico City that may be able to order items for you; however, that may be pricey.

I am in a small community in Quintana Roo, and I found a homeschooling group, so I would be surprised if there were not groups in Mexico City. Put out some feelers, and you might be surprised.

I think friendships can be maintained, but it will require some effort (being proactive with invitations and making sure to reciprocate). My kinder who is being homeschooled has a few good friends, and I can’t see why that would change. I suspect the kids in the homeschool group will soon become buddies as well, but otherwise, I am content for her to maintain contact with kids her age through extra-curricular activities.

We homeschool in a foreign country, but in Brazil not Mexico. In regards to the no library thing, we bought a curriculum (MFW) that has a list of the required books and then I also bought/brought books for each field of interest covered throughout the year. Yes it's a lot of books, but it's either that or a DVD curriculum which also has a whole lot of textbooks, etc., that accompany it. So I knew either way I would be bringing lots of books with me. It's worked out for us to buy 2 years worth at a time on the main things on our short furlough and then I order the extra books I realize we're missing (it's inevitable) and have people bring them down for us. No, we don't have all the resources we would have if we lived in the U.S. We also don't have a homeschool group, but the Lord has provided our children with many friends and they have no problem with "socialization". It's a choice that we have made, and even though it is going to be harder in a foreign country, I don't regret it at all. My children are getting a much better education than they would be getting in the public or private schools here and we are a close family. My children are also learning our family values, what we believe, and also how to behave American, which I believe they would lose quite a bit if they were in school all the time. Anyway, that's my two cents! It's totally possible and we love it!

We were there for three months. Didn't meet any homeschoolers. I'm leaving to Chile in 4 days and I'm sure we will have the same problem there.

We had a great time in Mexico but most of our curriculum is online. I took some books but we knew that we were there for a short time. My kids played all the time and met lots of kids. People are really friendly. Good luck

There are multiple companies that offer online options, either separate classes or the complete curriculum by grade. Sonlight will ship to most countries as well although it is expensive. They do offer a missionary discount though.

We are moving to South America in January and I am planning to homeschool our 3 kids there, which will be the first time to HS for me. I think I am planning to bring as much as I can for the first year, and supplement with the Kindle and whatever PDF curriculum I can find. (check out a previous thread I started about favorite curriculum on PDF, there were lots of great ideas shared!)

Then I am hoping that people coming to visit us can bring us the new years curriculum that I will order and have shipped to their US address.

It should be a wild and crazy experience, but I am looking forward to it!

So I'm interested in how home schoolers in foreign countries handle the whole "no library" thing. Do you just buy all your reading books, use a kindle, etc.? And also, how do you provide "socialization" for your kids besides classes i.e. dance, tennis etc.? Are you able to maintain friendships with kids that were friends with your children before you started homeschooling?

Any advice would be so appreciated. I want to start home schooling but I guess the bottom line is I'm scared because we don't have the same resources that families living in U.S. have.

- Mom of 3 wonderful kids

I didn't take him to the library when we were in the U.S. so the lack of a library with English books didn't bother us. He gets books for birthdays and Christmas. He has more than enough to read.

My son has friends around here. He met them just going about every day life. He plays with kids of all ages. Some of them speak English and some speak Spanish and, regardless of the language, they all get along pretty well.