Menu

10th Grade Writing: Too Much or Just Right?

This is for ds 15 who is an excellent creative writer and will probably major in something having to do with writing but does not remember much from Easy Grammar Plus.

Science - Lab Reports and Topic Reports

History - IEW Medieval HBWL

Literature - Windows to the World & Excellence in Literature

English -

Grammar: SWB Advanced Language Lessons & Daily Language Workout

Vocabulary: Word Roots

Narration/Summary/Outline: SWB Writing with Skill

Writing: Write Source Grade 10

Is this too much or just right?

I do think this too much writing.

Windows to the World followed by Excellence in Literature is enough for writing. WttW is a one semester course that should be included in the English credit since it involves quite of bit of writing. Each novel study in EL involves several writing assignments and research. The author of EL counted EL as composition, lit and history because of the variety of assignments; i.e. Historical Approach Paper, Author Profile, Lit Summary, etc. She offers a timeline product that coordinates the history/lit work. So, I would drop IEW Medieval, WWS, and WriteSource. Word Roots sounds good for vocabulary, but I would suggest Analytical Grammar for high school grammar. It's a curriculum that can be spread out for several years or used during one year. After AG is completed, grammar is finished for high school.

With my suggestions, the new lineup looks like this:

Science

Lab Reports and Topic Reports (if there is time)

English

Composition - Windows to the World and Excellence in Literature

Grammar

Vocabulary

You mentioned that your son is a good creative writer, so I am assuming he can writing essays. However, if he needs instruction in essays, you might take a look at "The Elegant Essay" or Julie Bogart's "Help for High School." Either of those would take one semester, so the composition line up would be EE or HfHS followed by WttW instead of EL.

This is for ds 15 who is an excellent creative writer and will probably major in something having to do with writing but does not remember much from Easy Grammar Plus.

English -

Just looking at the sources, I can't tell how much writing is being done. I don't include things like vocab and labs in the "writing" category in our homeschool, so that is different.

My kids typically write 1 major paper/week. However, they do take notes (not narration, summary, or outline) from TC lectures and texts as well. (my definition of paper is writing a paper w/supporting evidence.)

HTH

English -

The IEW Medieval HBWL is probably redundant if you are using WWS for instruction. Also, unless your child is struggling with writing, I don't know that I would use it past grades 6 or 7. It is fairly basic and history writing for a typical 15 yo should be more challenging. Is the problem here coming up with writing topic ideas for history?

Either chose WWS or Write Source 10 for your main writing instruction, not both. Do you have these items on hand, and if so, have you had a chance to look them over?

I do have all of these curriculum on hand. My problem with what to do now is that I had settled on Write Source, Word Roots, and WttW/Excellence in Literature for my 10th grade ds and then low and behold I am now homeschooling my 7th grade nephew into the mix virtually.

I have gone from an only child to two at different grades, learning styles, and capabilities. The logistics of group participation and one on one attention has got me flustered and a little confused on how to manage. My nephew needs Advanced Learning Languages, Medieval HBWL or Writing With Skill, and DITHOR for literature.

My ds has great writing style but needs help with organization and support of his assertions (Write Source). Since I have only been homeschooling him since 7th grade he never really learned to outline, narrate, & summarize (WWS). The Medieval HBWL was thrown in because I figured he needed to write papers for history anyway and he could participate with his cousin instead of being completely isolated.

I was trying to combine the two kids for English, History, and Science. It looks like this might not be possible! I am in the last semester of a Master's program and can only teach lessons in the morning 8 am to 1 pm. Afternoons is for homework and independent drop in help from me if needed. Please help me figure this out!

Just looking at the sources, I can't tell how much writing is being done. I don't include things like vocab and labs in the "writing" category in our homeschool, so that is different.

My kids typically write 1 major paper/week. However, they do take notes (not narration, summary, or outline) from TC lectures and texts as well. (my definition of paper is writing a paper w/supporting evidence.)

HTH

Science: Will use Write Source for guidance

Lab Reports - 1 to 2 pages about every 2 to 3 weeks (about 12 total)

Science Reports - 4 to 6 pages every 6 weeks (total 6)

Literature: Excellence in Literature

The following will be written every 4 weeks (total 7, the other 8 weeks will be used for Windows to the World)

Aproach/Historical Approach Paper 1 to 2 pages

Author Profile 1 page

Literature Summary 1 page

Literary/Poetry Analysis Essay 3 to 4 pages

History: Medieval HBWL

3 paragraphs - 6 Summaries

5 paragraphs - 2 Research Reports, 1 Formal Essay, 4 Literary Critiques,

and 4 Creative Essays with Thesis

12 paragraphs - 2 Super Essays

English: Write Source Grade 10

Phase Autobiography

Cause-Effect Essay

Essay of Definition

Problem-Solution Essay

Editorial Essay

Engineering Report

Multimedia Presentation

Oral Presentation

Business Letters

After analyzing this more I have dropped WWS and picked areas of Write Source not covered in Medieval HBWL. What do you think now?

My big lesson I have learned so far? I had my English all beautifully laid out with a dandy little syllabus complete with weekly assignments, and I have ditched almost all of it in the first 4 weeks!! It just was not working. I quickly realized that my 15ds needs to be accountable to others for some things, or else I will have to punish him every day for sloppy, juvenile work that makes no sense. He does a great job of writing for others (has done outside classes for 8th and 9th with A's in both), but just seems lazy about it for me. So he is now enrolled in online Bravewriter class for 9 weeks, then we'll see.

All this to say, you may just have to start before you really know. What is too much for others may be just right or even not enough for your ds. I spent so much time planning this summer, and boy am I glad it is all on the computer so it is easily adjusted! It has been a rocky start and we are still feeling our way around in a few subjects-I have two Chemistry books on hand and just ordered another one, plus I'm trying to find the TC dvds for a good price! I just read an eye-opening reply in another thread, about how the goal is finding the curriculum that is the best fit for your student, and not necessarily what is considered the best curriculum. And the only way to do that is trial and error.

If it helps to know what others are doing, this is what I am expecting my son to accomplish, but we'll see how it goes:

*He is doing a Chemistry lab with our HS group and will learn how to write a good lab report.

*He writes summaries for every chapter of HoMW, and will hopefully do an essay every month or so.

*He is taking online LOTR class with VHSG-not sure how much writing will be in this. (1 semester class)

*Will work through Windows to the World (doing this before and after the LOTR class, but not during-class starts in two weeks so I hope to have annotation down cold before he starts, then we'll pick it back up in January)

*Will write about 5 Great Books, and 4-5 other pieces of literature. I'm hoping to combine the lit with WttW, but I'm not sure how it will work.

*Taking BW Kids Write Intermediate class right now (9 weeks long)

*He is using the grammar portion of Grammar for Writing, and has to revise a paragraph weekly. This is not original writing so I don't really count it, but it does help him with learning sentence combining, interesting word choice, etc.

*He needs to work on outlining, but I'm not sure where I'm going to fill that in. I also want him to watch the IEW High School Essay Intensive at some point to get ready for the SAT. The original plan was to have that format for the history essays, but everything is a bit up in the air now.

Hope this helps.

My big lesson I have learned so far? I had my English all beautifully laid out with a dandy little syllabus complete with weekly assignments, and I have ditched almost all of it in the first 4 weeks!! It just was not working. I quickly realized that my 15ds needs to be accountable to others for some things, or else I will have to punish him every day for sloppy, juvenile work that makes no sense. He does a great job of writing for others (has done outside classes for 8th and 9th with A's in both), but just seems lazy about it for me. So he is now enrolled in online Bravewriter class for 9 weeks, then we'll see.

All this to say, you may just have to start before you really know. What is too much for others may be just right or even not enough for your ds. I spent so much time planning this summer, and boy am I glad it is all on the computer so it is easily adjusted! It has been a rocky start and we are still feeling our way around in a few subjects-I have two Chemistry books on hand and just ordered another one, plus I'm trying to find the TC dvds for a good price! I just read an eye-opening reply in another thread, about how the goal is finding the curriculum that is the best fit for your student, and not necessarily what is considered the best curriculum. And the only way to do that is trial and error.

If it helps to know what others are doing, this is what I am expecting my son to accomplish, but we'll see how it goes:

*He is doing a Chemistry lab with our HS group and will learn how to write a good lab report.

*He writes summaries for every chapter of HoMW, and will hopefully do an essay every month or so.

*He is taking online LOTR class with VHSG-not sure how much writing will be in this. (1 semester class)

*Will work through Windows to the World (doing this before and after the LOTR class, but not during-class starts in two weeks so I hope to have annotation down cold before he starts, then we'll pick it back up in January)

*Will write about 5 Great Books, and 4-5 other pieces of literature. I'm hoping to combine the lit with WttW, but I'm not sure how it will work.

*Taking BW Kids Write Intermediate class right now (9 weeks long)

*He is using the grammar portion of Grammar for Writing, and has to revise a paragraph weekly. This is not original writing so I don't really count it, but it does help him with learning sentence combining, interesting word choice, etc.

*He needs to work on outlining, but I'm not sure where I'm going to fill that in. I also want him to watch the IEW High School Essay Intensive at some point to get ready for the SAT. The original plan was to have that format for the history essays, but everything is a bit up in the air now.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and sharing what your ds does for writing, it does help a great deal! My ds loves writing more than anything else but does not care for notetaking, outlines, and narrations so I may cut more formal writing to cover these issues. I see now that I may have to adjust as I go along but I definitely need a laid out plan of my current goals or I will not stay on track at all, lol!

No wonder I am not getting any sleep!:lol: