Menu

Printable Reading Chart

My son enjoys reading, but it's not typically default activity when he's bored. We signed up for the summer reading program at the local library this summer and they gave us a chart where he got to color in a little block for each 15 minutes he read. If he read 10 hours he got free tickets to the country fair, if he read 20 hours he got to go to a "Super Readers Party" and if he read 100 hours he got a free t-shirt.

It was so motivating to him! He ended up reading about 30 hours this summer. Since the reading program is over, his reading has tapered off again.

I decided I wanted to continue this on my own throughout the school year and for every 10 hours he reads, I'll take him out to buy a new book.

Does anyone have a link to a good reading chart that we can print off to track his time? I did a quick google search, but couldn't find a good one, so I thought I'd check here rather than reinvent the wheel :D

Thanks!

lakeshore learning has a teacher's corner with loads of free printables. One of the things they have is a reading chart, just a basic grid with a cute decoration/title. You'd have to fill in the time limits or just let him know "every block = 30 minutes" or whatever. But it's very cute, has a place to put what the reward will be when each square is filled in, etc.

Lakeshore Learning Printables

eta; it's under the Resources tab and is called Reading chart.

Pizza Hut has a Book It Program where they win personal pizzas for meeting reading goals. If I am not mistaken, Chuck E Cheese has rewards for it as well on their website, except the kids earn tokens. It would be prettty easy to make your own using a calendar and just recording the hours. My son wouldn't read to earn more books though. I would have to make it a nonbook prize.

Thank you all for your replies! I signed up for the BookIt program last year, but we just don't have a Pizza Hut close enough to make it worth it.

I'm probably going to hell for this, but we've had a Chuck E. Cheese in our neighboring town for three years now and my children have never been there. Is that breaking some rule of childhood or something? :D They don't even know what it is!! :lol:

My children love to pick out new books and I could easily go broke at any book store we walk into just in children's books alone, so I think the reward of a new book of their choosing will work, but I'll discuss it with them before I start the reading chart.