Menu

ack!! I'm kinda freaking out here!!!!

Congrats!

I wouldn't have a clue how to sign up an 11 year old for college classes.

I didn't either at first, but our community college has an advisor whose sole job is to reach out to the homeschool community. I went to a talk she gave last spring, thinking I would learn about stuff to do when my daughter was 16. That seems to be the 'norm' here on the boards. I was shocked to realize that she could qualify now.

To actually sign up was pretty easy. I made an appointment with the homeschool advisor and she said fill this out, fill that out; let's walk over here to the guy at the desk and hand him these forms; now let's go up two flights of stairs and hand the woman behind the glass all the papers and hand over your credit card. done. I just followed and did what she said!!

The only snafu was that my daughter thought she would place out of the 101 class into the 102 class but you can't just sign up for the 102 class. The professor wouldn't come in over the summer to test her out. So the professor kept her after class to 'test' her and placed her out. WOOHOO. then the guy at the desk wanted to charge me $70 to add/drop a class. I went to the same lady behind the glass and argued with her for 20 minutes that if I was allowed to register my daughter the first time for the RIGHT class, this wouldn't be a problem and it was their rule that prevented her from signing up for the class in the first place. She stared at me and at my 11 year old standing next to me and fixed it.

The next problem is the bookstore is sold out of the book she needs. it's on order but with the hurricane, books are delayed. I ordered it online, but all the places say the book will leave the warehouse in a week and delivery is expected to be next saturday. she has a quiz next thursday.:glare:

Awesome, what's she taking? :)

She is taking a piano class for now. we figured one class until we got some sort of routine going.

Robin in NJ

The next problem is the bookstore is sold out of the book she needs. it's on order but with the hurricane, books are delayed. I ordered it online, but all the places say the book will leave the warehouse in a week and delivery is expected to be next saturday. she has a quiz next thursday.:glare:

Robin in NJ

Try the school's library for the book. Sometimes they will have a copy you can read there or check out short term until yours arrives.

Ask her prof. Mine almost always had extra copies of their text around and they may be willing to lend it to her. A good friend of mine borrowed the text from her prof for the entire semester.

Failing that, if its only a few pages she needs to study, maybe she can ask a classmate if she can photocopy what she needs from their text.

Ask her prof. Mine almost always had extra copies of their text around and they may be willing to lend it to her. A good friend of mine borrowed the text from her prof for the entire semester.

Failing that, if its only a few pages she needs to study, maybe she can ask a classmate if she can photocopy what she needs from their text.

ypu! I am hoping the prof will loan it to her, until ours comes in. I emailed her on thursday evening.

There are only 2 other students in the class and since my daughter wasn't in the class the first day, we don't know who they are. the class only meets on thursday; she missed the first day and the first quiz is next thursday...

Great ideas, Thanks so much for the suggestions!!! I am hoping either (1) it comes in to the bookstore or (2) the copy I ordered arrives sooner than expected.

Robin