Menu

ants in dorm. . .

Guest Barb B

Ds has ants in his room. Knowing ds - we really can't blame others (but it is an all male dorm, so I am sure more then just ds is to blame). Anyway - besides buying ants traps - and cleaning up the food and garbage (ds admits there is "food all over" and a "pile of garbage in the corner" - ick, boys!) anyone know of any other things to get rid of them.

Barb

We just had a discussion about this on a local yahoo group. I'll copy and paste:

They like white rice. They eat it, then the "poof" is on them. They poof up

and die! They will come back, I think when the young'uns hatch, or whatever

ants do. This technique works well when you know where the ant hills are.

Otherwise, you can sprinkle a bit around the home, as in the perimeter touch

the home, at its base. You do not want to spread white rice around freely as

birds poof up and die too!

Tiny ants invaded my kitchen this afternoon. I sprayed one squirt of

Charlies Soap (High Efficiency or "HE") on the bottle of honey they had

found. They evacuated the area immediately.

Two years ago, we had the same battle with ants and had tried countless products without success until someone told us about Terro. We literally did not see ants until two years later, at which time we put down new baits. We are still ant free!!!! We use the indoor liquid baits that come in little plastic containers. We hid them under the cabinets so our children wouldn't touch them.

Terro was always my suggestion - but this month we were battling them too. We went through 3/4 bottle of Terro. So, I bought home pest killer. We sparyed the spots they were coming in - all those places they finally gave up on. We ended up with a spot behind the dishwasher and they are still coming in there - but only a couple here and there. I cleaned the counters well, got rid of any food source they were going after, if I saw a wandering ant I killed it so it would not go home and tell others where to go. After a couple of days - spraying the large populations that were coming (and cleaning my counters thoroughly before putting food on them of course) and then killing the strays, they finally quit.

Get Peppermint essential oil and wipe down everything with a diluted mixture of peppermint oil and water. Then continue to wipe down with this 2x per day and put the pure oil dots around windows or areas where they seem to come in. Ants hate peppermint and will be repelled by it. I have however had an instance where it did not work and I finally relented and had The Neuse pest control come and spray inside and against the wall outside where they were coming in. I hate to use all those chemicals but I hate ants in my house worse! good luck.

We use Amdro Ant Block. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes in the pest section. You sprinkle a layer of these crystals around the perimeter of your house and it creates a barrier. It lasts for about 3 months. It costs around $10. It works great.

I had to laugh envisioning college boys wiping down their dorm room with peppermint oil twice a day!

It doesn't matter what they do, if they're not willing to pick up the food and garbage, they will have ants. At least.

Yes, this.

I do know a young single man of 23 years of age who was recently disciplined at SEMINARY for the condition of his room...it was apparently quite the shambles and attracting mice! His parents found out that he was on the verge of being kicked out for failure to comply with the colleges requests and THEY DROVE TO THE COLLEGE AND CLEANED HIS ROOM FOR HIM!

I dated a guy once who had enough food wrappers on the floor of his dorm room that I commented about the possibility of "evolution" taking place there. Seriously, I thought I saw a Taco Bell bag scurry across the floor. :001_huh:

I wish I knew why boys like to live like this. Oh my, I have three sons and they'll all be in college at one time during the eldest boy's senior year. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think I can hack it!!!!

(Petrified now)

Faith

I don't have any suggestions about getting rid of ants but if it makes you feel any better ds called me from his apartment last year asking how to get rid of maggots that were crawling on their kitchen wall. I did not enjoy googling to find out that information.:lol:

I am sure you will get some very good suggestions here.