Menu

Somebody stop me now! Discovering mathematics vs. Saxon

I placed my ds in Saxon 8/7 because while I know there are mixed reviews about it, I felt he needed the spiral review. He was starting to forget some learned concepts in the upper Singapore math because he just hadn't worked with the concepts on a regular basis. He did great with Singapore and did his best with the word problems. He's young for his math ability.

He is doing fine with Saxon so far and I think he'll do well with the program overall, but Singapore still calls to me (the Discovering Mathematics program). He's a smart math kid and i don't want to shortchange his ability. He's young and makes computational errors due to not really paying attention to the small details. I guess my main concern is his being able to "do" math without understanding math. I want him to understand.

So, what does the Hive say?

Beth

While DM is not a spiral program, if you use the workbook, there is constant review of previous concepts - they're just built into the problems from the current topic.

Negative numbers are introduced in the first chapter. You will then see them in every problem set for the rest of the program.

You learn about angles on a line adding up to 180, say - then have to solve something like "there are three angles on a straight line; if angle A is 2(3x-4) and angle B is -3/(x + 7), what is angle C?" - reviewing distributive property, fractions, and solving for x (and remembering that the value of x is not going to be the answer here).