Menu

English/grammar/writing

My 10th grader has a good grasp of grammar. She still needs reminding what a PN and Padj are. She still struggles with verbals used as nouns (Walking the dog is my favorite summer activity) in parsing. But, she understands the vast majority of grammar and has an excellent understanding of punctuation. Writing is very difficult for her, but she can produce a good essay.

We are doing literature analysis and a poetry study this year for literature. She is also doing a vocabulary building program.

What would be a good "english" program for her? I need something that would offer some review of the more advanced grammar skills and possibly help her with writing. EG/Daily Grams is too basic. I have not seen BJU in person, but from the limited online samples, I'm afraid that might be too much review a well. Editor in Chief is a good supplement, but I'm not sure it is enough.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

I think I might drop back on grammar then. Having good grammar in your writing is not the same as being able to identify parts of speech, especially fairly complex items like verbals. If you feel you must do more parsing, then chose a one book shot like Rex Barks.

Can she outline? Does she write from outlines? That would be something I'd want her to practice. I feel like I've turned into a shill for SWB's Plan for Writing talks, but they could be helpful to listen to and implement. They are certainly a lot less expensive than a full program of writing. You can find them here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html