Menu

Memory Mondays

missmoe

We just finished going over ours - everybody was ready for "recess" after that!

We do CC - we are reviewing weeks 1 & 2. We have the Week 3 class tomorrow, so we will probably listen to that in car today. (Not enough to memorize, but just enough so they have heard the words before. They pay a lot more attention in class if they are somewhat familiar.)

- Bible - John 1:1-3

- Timeline - first 16 events from Veritas Press cards

- History - Columbus & Pilgrims (one sentence about each)

- Geography - New England & Middle Atlantic states - locations on map & capitals

- Math - skip counting 2s, 3s, & 4s

- Science - tissue types & bones of the axial skeleton

- Grammar - I am kind of skimming over it quickly b/c they so don't get it!

- Latin - I don't know the first thing about Latin, so I'll worry about it when we get back to Cycle 3 their 2nd grade year

We are also working on learning our full location - planet, continent, country, state, city, neighborhood, address & telephone number - this is a review. They can easily find us on any map or globe, but keeping straight which is the state and which is the continent and so on to answer verbally is proving to be a challenge! :)

We have been reviewing books of the Bible for ages but still have some challenges there. They can name them all in order, but can't start at one random place and move forward. They have to start at the very beginning every time. And what's the point of knowing them if you can't actually use the info to find what you are looking for?? Any helpful hints on that would be much appreciated!

I found an idea for a trifold "Memory Board" that I have copied, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Everything easily organized for the kids and I to see, and yet easy to put away. I put the CC stuff on the front, and other stuff to review on the back (our full global address, steps of scientific method & presentation steps). http://halfahundredacrewood.blogspot.com/2011/03/classical-conversations-at-home.html

I found an idea for a trifold "Memory Board" that I have copied, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Everything easily organized for the kids and I to see, and yet easy to put away. I put the CC stuff on the front, and other stuff to review on the back (our full global address, steps of scientific method & presentation steps). http://halfahundredacrewood.blogspot.com/2011/03/classical-conversations-at-home.html

Thanks for this link!

This sounds neat. We just joined a co-op similar to CC and I am trying to figure out how to do the review at home. I have some blank space on our morning meeting board and I might try something similar.

What are the "presentation steps"?

This sounds neat. We just joined a co-op similar to CC and I am trying to figure out how to do the review at home. I have some blank space on our morning meeting board and I might try something similar.

What are the "presentation steps"?

My kids are taking a "Public Speaking" class every other week at a co-op, and I tried to sort of merge the steps from that class into CC's script, and stick pictures in as my kids aren't reading yet. It's not perfect by any stretch, but helps the kids from getting confused between the two classes. I couldn't get the file attached, so all my cute clipart & formatting got lost, but here's the jist:

Presentations

Hands in pockets or behind your back

Wait until stop giggling

Eye contact

Voice inflection – how use your voice up and down to send message (happy, mad, sad)

Listening (point to ears)

3 second rule – count in head to 3 before start talking

Practice, practice, practice

Body language

Speak loud so everyone can hear

o “Hello, my name is ____.”

o “Today I would like to tell you about _____." or "Today I will share _____.”

o “_____”

o “Thank you for listening to my presentation about _____. Are there any questions?”

Audience – listen, eye contact, ask questions

Edited by MeganW