Menu

Charlotte Mason and Latin...how do you do it?

I am just starting to learn about the CM method and plan to use it this year. I wanted to start latin with my 11yo son but am wondering how it would be done CM style? Any suggestions, book titles, links, or examples would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

A quick google search gave me this:

Of the teaching of Latin grammar, I think I cannot do better than mention a book for beginners that really answers. Children of eight and nine take to this First Latin Course (Scott and Jones) very kindly, and it is a great thing to begin a study with pleasure. It is an open question, however, whether it is desirable to begin Latin at so early an age.
I looked up the book (full text here, among other places), and it is just about entirely in Latin. An immersion approach, iow. Makes sense, since CM is all about things in context, and you don't get more "in context" than doing the study entirely in the target language. She's not a fan of starting out with memorizing the declensions in more or less isolation, which was (and to some extent is) a common approach.

Lingua Latina would be a modern text that is the closest to that approach - it's all in Latin, teaching the grammar and vocab through a running storyline. For a less hardcore approach, the Cambridge Latin Course is a reading text - uses Latin stories to introduce and reinforce grammar and vocab, but not as the sole teaching vehicle. Lots of fun, but some disagreement about how high a Latin level it gets you to. Plenty of threads here about both: LL, CLC.