Menu

Math question another...

So, dd is throwing me for a loop...she's my one who has actually been tested gifted, but math is her "weak" area. Partly because she just doesn't like it much, and partly because she doesn't like to learn what she doesn't like...I see in her an ability to grasp math concepts quite easily once taught well, but its hard to get her to sit still and work through the "I don't know how to do this, my little brother is going to catch up with me I hate math..." stuff!!!

She tested 5-6 grade on her yearly tests in math (she was officially finishing 3rd grade). She has done Saxon 1-3 (years ago), then MM 2/part of 3, then TT 4 last year. (see, I don't know what to do with her!). She did well with TT grade wise, but I had to stop the last few lessons because I couldn't stand the way they were teaching...percent without decimals? I just don't see the point and it fed right into her "I don't understand - I am terrible at math" stuff...Who could really understand it that way!!!???

So...Mammoth math - I have done most of MM 4A with her this summer - but it is drudgery for her - she likes to read her own lesson, but really can't "get" all the advanced MM on her own - so has to wait for me to teach it. And I am concerned that she won't keep progressing as well (she makes silly mistakes or does it "her way", which sometimes gets the right "answer" but not the concept being taught).

I pulled out Saxon 6/5 yesterday and she loved it! She likes to read the lesson, she has no trouble copying the problems. She would be totally independent for the first 3/4 of the book. She would make NO MATH progress for the first 3/4 of the book, but really isn't ready for 7/6 (plus I don't own it and am trying to not buy more right now).

I like mastery teaching in math - but I realize that some kids do great with saxon. And there is some value in her being independent and working through it - but we left saxon because of the endless cycling back...

I see a few options: 1. Let her do it, and have faith that she'll hit some new math after Christmas and it will be ok. (she votes for this one). 2. Have her take the tests only and when she hits a grade less than 95%, start at the corresponding lessons (this would probably put us about lesson 50-60 I think). 3. Do saxon lightning speed (maybe every other problem - I usually hate this approach) and do MM 4B also, so that next summer she's finished it and the 6/5 and if she really likes saxon, skip to 8/7 then? 4. Just do the MM and make it work, knowing she'll need more hand holding.

I have TT 5, but I think I'll hold on to it for now - I am using TT 4 for fun math with dd7, and if he likes it for review, may do the same with TT 5 - but likely not ever again for "new concepts".

Oh, she is excited to start LoF fractions, but I told her she needed to really master long division first - which she almost has. I could add it in for her fun math with the MM or saxon....

She is a competative gymnast, and does a lot of music too. I work 3 days a week and have the 2 boys to teach too. She's doing middle school science, and reading is advanced too - but its the nitty gritty in LA we need to work too, so I already have her stepping "back" to R & S grammer 4. I would like to do MCT with her - and have it, but again time is a factor. She does her history with brother (will hit SL core 5 this year and have to do a lot of research), so other areas will be challenging her.

When I was her age I jumped from remedial 3rd grade math (had trouble with place value and ps couldn't see what I could do) to 5th grade when I "figured out" multiplication and division on the placement test on my own. I think she's a similar learner - gets stuck, then takes off...will likely get stuck again, then take off...

Any ideas? I'm not totally opposed to a different program - just need to be careful...I really like math and sometimes that gets to be expensive!

Erin

I like this option:

2. Have her take the tests only and when she hits a grade less than 95%, start at the corresponding lessons (this would probably put us about lesson 50-60 I think).

There's something about taking the tests and aceing the material that gives these little perfectionists a warm fuzzy feeling. My DD10 very much liked the look and feel of Saxon - she understands the instructions and can do it mostly herself. Would she be into listening to the DIVE teacher lectures? DD liked to listen to those (where she hates listening to me teach the material....)

I would personally be inclined to keep plugging away through MM 4B and have her watch Maria Miller's videos and those at Khan Academy if she needs more explanation. TT has the reputation of being a pretty weak math program and while Saxon is solid, it doesn't sound like she'd get that much out of doing 6/5.

FWIW, my older son started Algebra just before turning 10 and still couldn't do long division. His times tables weren't so hot either. He picked it up easily in Algebra, thanks to synthetic division and dividing polynomials.

In my opinion, math talented kids are NOT always arithmetic whizzes, and many a gifted kid doesn't excel at straight arithmetic. Arithmetic in a vacuum (and risking being shot down, I'd say Saxon is largely this) is boring and not nearly as useful as math in context.

We're Singapore users, including Challenging Word Problems. That program allows math talented kids to do real math while working on the mechanical stuff, like long division and the like, esp in their CWP series. TT is much more rote, but if the issue is the format, for elem math, it's likely to do the job as well as Saxon. Consider ALEKS, if it is arithmetic you are after. Only what isn't already known needs to be studies, which can be a boon to the math-talented kids with a few holes.

Yes, TT is light (and their version of 4 grade math and on up seems mighty off to me).

Compacting with Saxon may also work, although I'd strongly suggest adding either an Art of Problem Solving book, a supplement by Zaccaro, or Singapore to build thinking skills and learn about the application of math.

Just a note: there isn't much to elementary math. Bright kids can whiz through it pretty quickly. Rounding it out with "fun" math can help. We also use Theoni Pappas books (Penrose and the like) along with Teaching Company books, expanding what math is beyond the choices you've listed. Math can be really fun, but that's rarely evident in elem or upper level texts. You may need to think in another direction to make it "sing".

FWIW, my older son started Algebra just before turning 10 and still couldn't do long division. His times tables weren't so hot either. He picked it up easily in Algebra, thanks to synthetic division and dividing polynomials.

In my opinion, math talented kids are NOT always arithmetic whizzes, and many a gifted kid doesn't excel at straight arithmetic.

:iagree: :iagree:

Also agree about testing till she hits 90-95% and going with it. All the best!

thanks for the advice. It's funny, she's my one of the three who's the LEAST accelerated in her math (although her older brother moves a bit slowly sometimes because of his being 2E, and gets higher math better than basic) - but it may be because of the "boredom" with basic math. Who knows. I think I'll play about with the saxon placement test and 6/5 tests that I have, as well as looking at how much of MM 4 she really has left - and maybe add some of the resources mentionned.

Has anyone figured out how to get kids their own Khan academy account? I got one started with my facebook, which my 7 year old is using, and I suppose I could set up a seperate email for each kid? But as they are all under 13, I haven't figured out what hoops to jump through...I'd like all of them to spend some time there.

Erin

OK...so on the placement test, she actually places into 7/6....Maybe this is part of her math problem - got stuck doing TT and bored, still only barely 9, so can't do Mammoth math 4 all by herself (maturity issue), and needs to be doing a higher level but still written so she can be semi-independent. She really does learn best through reading and one on one - not well with videos - zones out...same with audio if there's not a reading component. SOOO the opposite of her brother. She needs to do her own "figuring" of things some.

I'm going to see if I can find someone locally with a 7/6 to play with...and still do MM/ Life of Fred for supplemental learning...does that sound reasonable to ya'all???

erin

I would personally be inclined to keep plugging away through MM 4B and have her watch Maria Miller's videos and those at Khan Academy if she needs more explanation. TT has the reputation of being a pretty weak math program and while Saxon is solid, it doesn't sound like she'd get that much out of doing 6/5.

:iagree: