Menu

When does the socialization questioning EVER end? I know!!

NEVER!! My very socially graceful 20 year old daughter is finishing up her BA degree at a nearby college. Turns out my (15 year old) sons PS teacher is in her class. The woman went on about how polite the 15 year old is and how she loves him. Then she found out my 20 year old was HSed and never went to a day of PS. She then started to quiz my daughter on socialization ect.

Luckily my daughter knows all of the pat answers and gives them with a sweet smile and confidence.

She didn't know the 15 year old had previously always been HSed either ... How did she think he got to be so social, sweet and smart?!?! LOL! :lol:

In nearly 12 years of homeschooling five children, not one person has ever questioned me (or them) about socialization.

She then started to quiz my daughter on socialization ect.
Perhaps she was merely interested? I think many homeschoolers are in an unnecessarily defensive stance ~ case in point, questions about homeschooling (which are often rooted in simple curiousity or even just making random conversation) are termed "quizzing".

She didn't know the 15 year old had previously always been HSed either ... How did she think he got to be so social, sweet and smart?!?! LOL! :lol:
Because, er, people who aren't homeschooled wouldn't possibly be social, sweet, and smart...:tongue_smilie:

In nearly 12 years of homeschooling five children, not one person has ever questioned me (or them) about socialization.

Perhaps she was merely interested? I think many homeschoolers are in an unnecessarily defensive stance ~ case in point, questions about homeschooling (which are often rooted in simple curiousity or even just making random conversation) are termed "quizzing".

Because, er, people who aren't homeschooled wouldn't possibly be social, sweet, and smart...:tongue_smilie:

My daughter had said she appeared to not be very familiar with homeschooling. My daughter (said she) was not defensive - rather she said the woman seemed to know little about HSing. So I would gather that she was simply courious AND quizzing too.

Of course PSers can be smart, sweet and social - she is the PS teacher of my teen boys and said she adored them :)

My oldest son who is an engineer - he is like a big brother and mentor to many of his peers. He was sitting with them and one started complaining because a PS kindergarten teacher told him and his wife they should HS their daughter because she was too advanced for the K curriculum. He went on about how unsocialized HS children were and don't fit once they grow up etc. My son just laughed and kept agreeing and finally told him that he was HSed. :)

My point was that my HS products ;) continue to be questioned about HSing even years after they graduate.

Edited by 5KidzRUs

You're really lucky you haven't gotten this question. My mil used to bring it up regularly, though after nine years of homeschooling she told me just this past week that she has realized that socialization is not an issue for my kids. They both have friends and do lots of "normal" stuff--mil worried about them for years, but has calmed down about it.

We just moved into a new home this week. One of the first questions our neighbor asked was about socialization. She was curious and not rude about it, and I was happy to answer her curiosity. I don't find that offensive. I have, however, had others ask the question not-so-sweetly, and my willingness to dialogue is nil when the questioner has those walls up.

My kids get questioned too....and mostly they get a lot of positive feedback and - from their peers in school, college etc- a LOT of envy! Jared's friends at school are clamouring to get him to come back to highschool- they just cant conceive that he can just decide not to go to school anymore, when it is all they have ever known.

Dd17 is a bright, social, clever and capable kid though- whether homeschooled or not, I imagine- and having been homeschooled just adds to her mystique :)

I usually shortcut the S question as soon as it is suggested (if they haven't met my kids and seen how social they are)- I just mention the number of homeschoolers in our city. That usually shuts them up- no one realises how many of us there really are. However...really, I just like to educate people about it...homeschooling is much less well known here than it is in the U.S. and you cant know what you don't know.

I don't know how you can't get asked this question.

We are one of the most social families I know and our closest friends even ask me this!

People are weird about things they don't know. It's usually out of ignorance and not feeling comfortable, but it usually comes out in an aggressive way. I have a new rule with myself. I let them be ignorant once, but after that, I assume they are being rude and respond accordingly. :)