Menu

Louisiana question

Seeing the topic last week about making sure you're ready to commit to all of high school once you get to ninth grade got me thinking. I don't have any problem committing to all of high school. There is no other option here for us, so we're good there. But I was preparing to send in my letter for this year indicating that we are using the non-registered private school option (however they phrase that), when I started wondering about TOPS. We doubt that ds will go to an in-state university, but now some of the private schools are covered too. With the economy like it is, we should probably leave the in-state schools as an option for us, so it would be good to remain eligible for TOPS. I know that in order to get TOPS you have to do the homeschooling option where you get state approval and submit portfolios and/or test scores, etc. But I wasn't sure how many years you had to be under that plan before graduation--all 4? So I started trying to read through all of the homeschooling law and all of the TOPS regulations and it appears that we would only have to be under that plan for his last two years of high school. I just wanted to see if anyone here could confirm that. I would rather stay in the private option this year if possible and make the switch next year if necessary. We haven't decided if we are going to graduate him a year early or do the full 4 years of high school.

Thanks for any insight you have!

Bumping for you.

I ran into someone the other day who this past year graduated a high schooler using the LA homeschooling option, but she used it all the way through. She was telling me that it really was not invasive, and that the state scholorship program benefits were well worth it.

Bumping for you.

I ran into someone the other day who this past year graduated a high schooler using the LA homeschooling option, but she used it all the way through. She was telling me that it really was not invasive, and that the state scholorship program benefits were well worth it.

Thanks for the bump. The state scholarship is good and compared to many, our program isn't too invasive, but there is still a matter of opening yourself up to approval from the state. I just didn't want to do that until I had to. We've just enjoyed our hands-off independence for so long. I think I'm paranoid that they will balk at our classical curriculum. I'm still researching how to call what I'm doing the titles of classes that they are expecting...

We began the home study option for our daughter her junior year. When she took the SAT, we had the results sent to TOPS, and that was accepted as validation of her status to renew for her senior year. Homeschoolers are accepted on their SAT or ACT, not the core curriculum.

Yes. TOPS, at this point, only goes by your child's ACT or (SAT) score if they're homeschooled. They must score two points higher than their public schooled peers.

Our dd is graduating this year and we've done the same thing as dlcricket, just signed her up for the home study program in her junior year and had her take the ACT test to send in for her senior year renewal. Easy.