Menu

Can anyone recommend a summer camp for families?

Hi to All,

I am looking for a place that is like a traditional summer/sleep away camp but for families near maryland/virginia area. I am trying to plan a vacation for next summer and I don't know where to start. A safe, clean, fun place where my children can fish, swim, canoe, bike, hike.... I would love to be near a nice clear lake. Does this exist or am I just dreaming? I never got to go away to camp and I would love to experience this with my family. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You might try Road Scholar. They're pricey, but supposed to be very good. My mom and her dh took my 2 younger kids for a week to GA for the Where the Wild Things Are camp and they all had a great time on the ropes course, including zip lines, spelunking, rock climbing, etc! There are camps to choose from all over the US and around the world. This might not be the kind of camp you're looking for, though, if you want something that isn't preplanned.

we just got home from here: http://www.deervalleyymca.org/. It was about 3.5 hours from DC. The kids had a blast! And I got to take sailing lessons- and then successfully took each of the kids out for a sail around the lake- and played volleyball, did crafts, lounged around reading a book, shoot an air gun, kayak, canoe, made a fishing rod with the kids, did some archery... There was also plenty of hiking. And most people had their bikes there as well. Tennis courts, softball games, horseshoes, sing-alongs, basketball courts, nature center, fishing piers, rowboats, playground, beach area, snack bar, gaga court, etc. No tv, cell phones and laptops (though there was a little bit of access at the cafeteria for internet); that in itself was wonderful- a complete break! All meals provided, just show up on time. The meals weren't great, but I didn't have to cook or clean up all week, so it evened out :) Accomodations aren't fancy- bunk beds mostly and bring your own sheets/towels etc. But you do get your own cabin and toilet/sink mostly. Some cabins have their own bath (ours was 2br 1ba). Very friendly, many long time campers (20+ years) but very welcoming to first timers (us). No locks on the cabins (except at night you could lock it from the inside). Very safe feeling; the kids had run of the camp pretty much. Oh, and the kids had a 3 hour kids camp each morning with their age group; which meant mom and dad had free time!