Menu

Anyone know about Americans teaching English in Asia?

My daughter is keen on this idea but I am wary of her going there. Anyone have experience with this? I have heard that they especially look for native English speaking women.

Yes it is very big here in Asia. But you have to be careful that you get with a reputable company. And it is not all countries. South Korea is a very popular destination.

We do not know anyone who has done this. How do we know who is reputable? I worry about her safety. However, SHE is ready to take on the world :001_smile:

Does she have a TESOL certification? The good, reputable companies will want one. If they are willing to take her with no certification then I would not consider that company.

I've been on mission trips twice to Taiwan. Several of the female missionaries we worked with are also English teachers in Taiwanese schools (that's how they support themselves). I don't know the specifics, but they said that native English teachers were highly sought after and it was fairly easy to get a job. As far as Taiwan goes as a place to live, I think it would be an interesting place to be. I would love to go back (just not to live, but I'm at a totally different place in my life than your daughter).

A neighbor that is from China (she only comes here for a couple months out of the year) practically begged me to set up online classes for her son and others she said were starving for native English speaking teachers. I told her I wasn't certified and she said she didn't care. She said it was extremely difficult, or depending on the location impossible, to find teachers to teach English.

Not that that is of any help to your dd except to emphasize how in demand she could be.:D

Yes it is very big here in Asia. But you have to be careful that you get with a reputable company. And it is not all countries. South Korea is a very popular destination.

I had friends do this in Korea, and they enjoyed it, but all came back after a year. Now one teaches it in the US to Japanese students who come over here the year after high school to make their English "shine".

However, that was in the 70s. I work with a lot of people who shuffle back and forth between Korea and the US. None talk about fear, crime, violence, etc.