Menu

AoPS Pre-Algebra SUCCESS!!!

HOORAY!! One of the reasons I wanted to switch to AoPS was because we just were not running into problems challenging enough that she couldn't do them all in her head, so she has really fought me on writing anything down, because she never saw the point.

She is working on the Ch 1 Challenge Problems today and JUST NOW came out and said, 'Mom, some of these problems are so hard, I'm having to solve them in parts and write down the answers for the parts before I can get a final answer. (Get this, this is the funny part) Is that ok?" Is that OK?!?!?! ROFL!!

FINALLY!! I'm SO pleased she's FINALLY come to this conclusion on her own! HOORAY!!

Awesome :D

It's always easier to get them to do something when THEY see the necessity.

I remember the first time I called my mother and said 'you know mom, I realized that if I just do a few minutes of housecleaning every day it stays so much cleaner.'

She said 'NO! HOW DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING AND CERTAINLY NEVER TOLD YOU THAT!'

Awesome :D

It's always easier to get them to do something when THEY see the necessity.

I remember the first time I called my mother and said 'you know mom, I realized that if I just do a few minutes of housecleaning every day it stays so much cleaner.'

She said 'NO! HOW DID YOU FIGURE THAT OUT? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING AND CERTAINLY NEVER TOLD YOU THAT!'

ROFL!!!!!

HOORAY!! One of the reasons I wanted to switch to AoPS was because we just were not running into problems challenging enough that she couldn't do them all in her head, so she has really fought me on writing anything down, because she never saw the point.

She is working on the Ch 1 Challenge Problems today and JUST NOW came out and said, 'Mom, some of these problems are so hard, I'm having to solve them in parts and write down the answers for the parts before I can get a final answer. (Get this, this is the funny part) Is that ok?" Is that OK?!?!?! ROFL!!

FINALLY!! I'm SO pleased she's FINALLY come to this conclusion on her own! HOORAY!!

This post could have been written about my ds! Well, except the OK part, because I have nagged for years about writing step by step, logically, explaining about partial credit... all to no avail. Until now.

We have been discussing the whys of each step -- like 'distributive property, factoring out' -- matching the numeric expressions in the problems to ab + ac = a(b + c) -- being disciplined about giving a name and a reason for why things are done.

Edited by Alessandra

I am so happy to hear this. My son does everything in his head as well, and it bugs me. I keep telling him to show his work, but he sees no point in that.

I am hoping that AoPS changes this and after reading your experience I have great confidence that it will. I just ordered AoPS on Tuesday, and I can't wait to begin working on it with my son. :)