Menu

What math do I want?

mumkins

I have a DD who will be 6 in Dec. She didn't do much math last year, it was suppose to be her K year. She'll be doing K math this year. IDK what math I want to do with her. My oldest does MUS cause she needs the few concepts and mastery. But I don't really like it. My 2nd does McRuffy's which I do like. But it only goes up to 4th and it takes years for each grade level to come out. 4th just came out. I'd really like her to stick with one program all through elementary.

I want something colourful with only a page or two each day. Easy to teach, preferably scripted. Short lessons a must.

Singapore Essential Math Kindergarten A & B. Black and white, but very short lessons with easy activity recommendations at the bottom of the page. My dd does extra coloring on some pages. Book A is more K4-ish, so you might skip it if she knows her numbers to 9, but book B gets into comparing numbers and sets, number bonds, basic addition & subtraction. The units about time, numbers to 100 and on to the end are just brief introductions. The concepts will be revisited in Singapore Primary Math 1A/B. You can see the table of contents and samples here or here.

MUS gets better. I had a hard time using it in the early years, because it seemed so boring. But now that I have four using it, and the older two are completely independent, I love it! They have a solid foundation and it doesn't take forever and most importantly, they do it themselves! It's awesome. I am just starting it for my 6yo and I feel much calmer about doing it without adding in extras for variety. At this point, my day has enough variety!