Menu

Grants / scholarships ?

DD got a state grant for therapeutic horse back riding. Are they any other types of grants/scholarships out there for adhd/pdd autism? I'm thinking for joining a swim team? This child is so athletic. Everyone comments on her athletic abilities. She taught herself how to swim this summer and now swims with the lifeguards at the pool. She just turned 8.

Any ideas?

I might go through all my books again and see what I can sell.

:tongue_smilie:

THe term Special Olympics uses is "intellectual disabilities" which seems to be replacing the term 'mental retardation'. However, back when I was teaching in public school, we could enter any child in the special olympics that had some sort of delay - including learning disabilities and autism - if that child's disability would interfere with their being able to participate in sports otherwise. Some SO sports also allow mixed teams where children with no or very mild disabilities play on the same teams as children with more profound or pervasive disabilities. I know from personal experience that what is available in an area varies greatly depending on how many coaches are volunteering. You can find the contact person for your state here