Menu

Do you like Graphic Novels, like Max Axiom?

tammyw

We've gotten all the ones that were available from our library and love them. I am planning to buy the entire set of 24. I saw that they have other graphic novels, like one titled Alexander Graham Bell and the Telephone. I was wondering if anyone had seen those and had reviews? There aren't any reviews at Amazon, and I don't have a way to see them at our library.

Would love to hear what others think of these. Our DS5 loves Max Axiom!

I got sticker shock when I thought about purchasing some of the Max Axioms. They are library-only items for us.

I found the Horrible Science books to be a good investment, as well as Jay Hosler's biology themed graphic novels: Clan Apis, The Sandwalk Adventures, and Optical Allusions.

We love graphic novels at our house. Capstone Press is my favorite (they do the Max Axiom ones plus the others you mentioned). We have (and have loved) many of theirs: Isaac Newton and the Laws of Motion, The Adventures of Marco Polo, Gutenberg and the Printing Press, Samuel Morse and the Telegraph, Thomas Edison and the Lightbulb, Mystery of the Roanoke Colony, The Story of Jamestown... I could go on and on. I love love love them! And they are so educational!! There are lots of graphic novel publishers, but I really believe Capstone Press is one of the best. Price-wise, check them out on timberdoodle and amazon. CBD has some also, but for some reason you have to search "Coughlan" publishing. But they are the same books. If you sign up to get a copy of Capstone Press' catalog, you can get the authors and titles of specific graphic novels to make searching easier.

Thanks for the good reviews. I wanted to make sure they were all good. We've loved the few we were able to get from the library.

As for price, Timberdoodle sells them for pretty cheap. They have sets you can purchase - one set of 15 Max Axiom paperback books for $88, which is a great deal, as it's less than $6/book. If you want to buy single issues though, it seems that Amazon is a similar deal because they are buy 4 for the price of 3, which makes them $6/book.

I got sticker shock when I thought about purchasing some of the Max Axioms. They are library-only items for us.

I found the Horrible Science books to be a good investment, as well as Jay Hosler's biology themed graphic novels: Clan Apis, The Sandwalk Adventures, and Optical Allusions.

Thanks for the reviews! I just added Clan Apis to my Amazon cart. I figured I'd try that one first as it gets the most good reviews :) These are much more pricey than Max Axiom!

Thanks for the reviews! I just added Clan Apis to my Amazon cart. I figured I'd try that one first as it gets the most good reviews :) These are much more pricey than Max Axiom!
But they're longer than 32 pages. :tongue_smilie:

I've got one of Jay Hosler's books, the newest one on evolution. I keep meaning to get the rest of his books, but the price on his books has me procrastinating. :lol:

Well that, and they're quite a bit longer, too much for my little dd6 at the moment. But nice for me!

I've got one of Jay Hosler's books, the newest one on evolution. I keep meaning to get the rest of his books, but the price on his books has me procrastinating. :lol:

Well that, and they're quite a bit longer, too much for my little dd6 at the moment. But nice for me!

Clan Apis can easily be adapted as a read aloud.

These Max Axiom books have helped me to realize that my children are very different learners. My DD8 was happy to sit still for an unabridged reading of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess when she was four. I figured that was normal. My DS5 very much gets bored easily with books that don't have pictures. He loves science but this is the type of format that gels with him.

Guest submarines
We've gotten all the ones that were available from our library and love them. I am planning to buy the entire set of 24. I saw that they have other graphic novels, like one titled Alexander Graham Bell and the Telephone. I was wondering if anyone had seen those and had reviews? There aren't any reviews at Amazon, and I don't have a way to see them at our library.

Would love to hear what others think of these. Our DS5 loves Max Axiom!

I'd hardly call Max Axiom a graphic *novel* (it is more like a scientific concept presented in a graphic story format), but we absolutely adore them, and I'd love to get the entire set. Our library has only a few of them.

They captivated my 9 yo DD (who is not into super heroes, and at first was reluctant to give them a chance), and of course my 5 yo loved them, and even if he didn't understand everything, he got a lot out of them.

My dd10 enjoys the Max Axiom books. She's also an Asterix fan. I thought $6 was too much for each book for what you get - they short, the reading level is about second grade, and the content is more of a lower elementary level. However, she read the one about photosynthesis yesterday and spent a good deal of time this more explaining why plants draw water up their roots and exactly what they do with it chemically to her dad. I think I might need to read that one before I make anymore judgments about the books. I don't know if the content she explained all came from the Max Axiom book or if it just helped her to put together other information she already knew about the subject.

Edited by Karen in CO