Menu

Khan academy chemistry

My dd is going to be using it this year. Not certain how much she'll need it, but I do plan to have her watching some videos and doing some problems alongside the Apologia Chemistry she is doing. Can't hurt when it's free, right?

Yes, free is great! I am trying to decide if we will use it on a as need basis or use it more as part of our daily lessons.

Our experience with the Khan Academy math is that the videos tend to do problems in ways that really confuse my daughter. The problems are great, but she finds she does better if she skips the videos and has me explain how to do things. The free aspect of it was appealing, but in the end, it wasn't exactly cost effective, if one considers the time she put into it.

We haven't tried the chemistry.

Our experience with the Khan Academy math is that the videos tend to do problems in ways that really confuse my daughter. The problems are great, but she finds she does better if she skips the videos and has me explain how to do things. The free aspect of it was appealing, but in the end, it wasn't exactly cost effective, if one considers the time she put into it.

We haven't tried the chemistry.

Thank you. It's good to hear both sides.

I haven't used Khan Academy Chemistry for Chemistry, but we used it to cover the early chem concepts during physical science. Ds hated DIVE with a passion and really liked Khan. He found Sal more entertaining and understandable (probably because he focused better). I was very ill during this part of my ds's physical science year and Khan Academy really saved us. I wish I had tried it before I bought DIVE. :glare:

We used some of the Brightstorm video lectures for Physical Science and Algebra this year. They seem short and to the point and my daughter enjoyed their presentation style -- the main points were already written on the whiteboard and she found the presenters entertaining. We listened to only one chemistry lecture and thought the lecturer talked too fast, even for a native American listener. (Maybe we have lived outside of the US for too long!) Lecture transcripts are posted as well which helped.

Know you didn't ask about Brightstorm, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an alternative. (I'm interested in feedback on their Biology lectures and how they compare to alternatives.)

Deb

I haven't used Khan Academy Chemistry for Chemistry, but we used it to cover the early chem concepts during physical science. Ds hated DIVE with a passion and really liked Khan. He found Sal more entertaining and understandable (probably because he focused better). I was very ill during this part of my ds's physical science year and Khan Academy really saved us. I wish I had tried it before I bought DIVE. :glare:

Thanks! I appreciate the review!

We used some of the Brightstorm video lectures for Physical Science and Algebra this year. They seem short and to the point and my daughter enjoyed their presentation style -- the main points were already written on the whiteboard and she found the presenters entertaining. We listened to only one chemistry lecture and thought the lecturer talked too fast, even for a native American listener. (Maybe we have lived outside of the US for too long!) Lecture transcripts are posted as well which helped.

Know you didn't ask about Brightstorm, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an alternative. (I'm interested in feedback on their Biology lectures and how they compare to alternatives.)

Deb

Thanks for the information!