Menu

Is Writer's Jungle worth the $$$$?

yellowperch

WE will be using WWE2 and WWS1 as well as some MTC. But my 2nd and 4th graders like creative writing, so I'm casting about for ideas about how to encourage and develop this in a fun but somewhat systematic, age-appropriate way. I like what I have read about Writer's Jungle, and I think the kids might do an online course at Bravewriter sometime in the future. I know of a used copy I can buy (just the book, not Arrow, etc).

What do you think?

It depends on what you want out of it. I don't know that I would say WJ would teach creative writing in a systematic, age-appropriate way. PeaceHill Press will be coming out w/ a Creative Writing curriculum. You might post over in the Logic forum under the ALL or WWS thread and ask SWB when it might be ready. SWB isn't the author. I read through it at the conference and recall liking what I read but it's all a fog now.

Now if you're looking for something that gives writing goals for each stage of writing, will help you develop a plan (ie copywork, dictation, narration) and give you lots of ideas for how to accomplish that in many different, creative ways, then WJ might be what you're looking for. I find it inspirational to read so if you can get it used, I say go for it. I had intended on re-reading it this summer but haven't had a chance. we've taken 3-4 Bravewriter classes and enjoyed them all but especially Just So Stories. My son LOVED that class.

TWJ is mainly a manual to help you teach writing to your kids. It will give you ideas for developing a complete LA program in the appendix. It is not a daily curriculum that is planned out for you. I love the ideas in TWJ and found it encouraging, but I needed more of a planned curriculum. Still, I used TWJ ideas for years and found it helpful, so for me it was worth it.

HTH! Merry :-)

WE will be using WWE2 and WWS1 as well as some MTC. But my 2nd and 4th graders like creative writing, so I'm casting about for ideas about how to encourage and develop this in a fun but somewhat systematic, age-appropriate way. I like what I have read about Writer's Jungle, and I think the kids might do an online course at Bravewriter sometime in the future. I know of a used copy I can buy (just the book, not Arrow, etc).

What do you think?

I think that TWJ is perfect for using exactly as you describe. I would snap up a used copy in a heartbeat if I were you because the hard part of answering the worth question is price relative to how much it will actually help you. Low price plus perfect frame of mind for usage? Snap it up! :D

Incidentally, I am using it in the same way. It will give you the tools to create a wonderful writing environment in your home, the Bravewriter Lifestyle, as the author refers to it. We are also using WWE and MCT and I think the BW Lifestyle rounds things out perfectly. My kids are also naturally creative writers and I felt an instant connection with TWJ. I find the book as useful for providing a language arts pep talk as I do for writing instruction. It's one of those that I pull out to read when I get in a funk. (Full disclosure: I bought it three years ago because I knew I would love it and just couldn't wait. I started using many of the principles with my oldest right away though, so it was worth the early purchase.)

I'm less than a third of the way through mine and already I love it. It definitely speaks to me and it's giving me the confidence that I can create an environment for my children to succeed in writing. Her words just resonate with me. It's absolutely not a curriculum, but I think that maybe that's why I like it. I can tailor it to my dd8's individual needs. The ideas also seem fun.

While we are already doing WWE, I think I will purchase a one year subscription of it (I believe $50 on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a few more days). I have a couple issues of The Arrow (one old format, one new), and I like the new format much better than the old - it incorporates a lot more stuff (such as grammar). Plus I like the looks of most of the books coming up and it will provide us an excellent spring-board for reading aloud at least one quality chapter book each month.

I think we'll also try the KidsWrite Basic class after Christmas. That is the one Julie suggested we start with, and I like the idea of my daughter taking an online class with a real writing teacher, for various reasons.

I'm getting excited about writing again!