Menu

BF Teaching Character Through Literature

Dawn E

I do own it, but found when I got it that we'd already read and talked about most of the books it suggests, so I haven't really used it. I do generally like their study guides. I have the one for music appreciation and we've used it. I will use it again in a year or so with my younger son. I love the one that covers all the Holling books for geography and we'll use it again beginning next year (well, I don't like Seabird as a world geo course, but I like all the others).

I have just finished it with my dd7 (with ds9 listening in!) and it was a very pleasant experience. But then again, I love all of the BF guides! We are very Socratic around here in that we read and discuss all of the books we read so it was great to have the questions already prepared....saved me trying to decide which questions would best help them get the most out of each book. Most of the books are easy reads and I would say if you have kids who are in the 6-9 age range, this is best suited for them. It was a great way to get the most out of several books without any prep. HTH

Okay -- now I want to do this too.

Perhaps this would be a good thing for my husband to do? He's always looking for something scripted to use with the boys. He usually uses the Bible or stories from books like the Millers books, but he's always looking for something that focuses on character too.

Dawn, I think your two younger boys would like it...and the scripted questioning makes it so easy to pick up and just use. I bought it with the purpose of using it with my dd7 and I would read while ds9 was doing other school work. Inevitably, he would somehow wind up sitting right beside us listening to every word and responding to the questions! Great fun was had by all.

We did this and it was a nice unit. We did it around the holidays when we had a lighter schedule and it was enjoyable. You can probably get the guide on Ebay and the books are usually in the library. I got mine on Ebay and re-sold them there too. It was definately a curriculum I'd recommend.:thumbup:

• 2 months later...

I just ordered the guide and I am wondering if you would go for the primary or the intermediate pack for my dd? She can read 3rd grade level, and enjoys books like Secret Garden, and Pompei Buried Alive, Greg's Microscope (or Tiara Club ;)), but usually wants to stick with Dr. Suess and Syd Hoff books. She got hold of first and second grade school reading books and said they are for babies. :glare: I saw that the runaway bunny was on the primary pack, which makes me lean toward intermediate, but the courage of sarah noble is there too. Also wondering if the child is supposed to read them or are they read alouds? TIA, going to the library tomorrow and want to pick some up.

Well, saw the primary at the library and we definitely do not need more than that! So I answered my own question!